Saturday, January 31, 2015

The Last Day in January

It was the last day in January, and my 92nd consecutive day on the bike. Julie joined me for most of the ride today, it was her first day on her bike in 2015.

It was a foggy morning.  We started from Gasworks Park because Julie wanted to avoid the climb back up Queen Anne.  We pedaled out the Burke-Gilman Trail with a plan for 10 out and 10 back.

We got to UofW, where the path is closed for construction.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago, every time I go through here the route is detoured differently.  Today the outbound route more closely matched the trail, but ended up directing us up a flight of stairs..........when there was a perfectly suitable road going the same direction within 75 ft.  Julie and I used our road bikes.  Why UofW goes to such great lengths to keep cyclists segregated is beyond me.

As we rolled past the 10 mile mark Julie reminded me that we were planning to turn around here. She also said she was hungry.  I convinced her to ride an additional long mile to get to a place where we could snag some food.  We stopped at a bakery and had a tuna sandwich and soda.

We turned around and pedaled back toward Seattle.  Julie was losing her mojo, not surprising since it was her first time on the bike in over a month.  About half way back she told me to ride on.  I hesitated for a bit, but finally I told her she could stop when she got back to Gasworks and I'd go for some bonus miles and a climb back up Queen Anne.

I picked up the speed a bit and in short order she was off the back.

I powered the fixie up Queen Anne, then rode around the top a bit just for a cool down.  I still managed to beat Julie back by 45 minutes.

The 92nd consecutive day on the bike was pretty darn good, especially considering it is January!


...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total
Today.............29...............0..............0...............0..................29 Jan...............765...............0...............0...............0...............765
Total............765...............0...............0...............0...............765

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.