Monday, April 8, 2013

An Old Time Horse and Buggy Doctor



That's what I felt like today! A Seattle friend needed a new chain and cassette. I've got the tools to do that, and know how to use them. (mostly, LOL!) I picked up the parts a couple of days ago and today loaded them in my backpack and took off across Seattle. As I pedaled along, I couldn't help but envision the old country doctors who traveled to patient's homes via horse and buggy with a black satchel in hand. I arrived and set about changing the cassette. That went well and quickly. The chain took a bit longer, first I put the chain on, but did not thread it through the front derailleur. Then I put it together again, this time not getting the path through the idlers correct. Finally, on the third time pressing the pins back in, the bike was ready to test ride. Alas, replacing the rear cassette and chain did not eliminate the jumping chain. The front sprockets show wear, but honestly not enough to be causing the problem, but they are the only parts not replaced. This horse and buggy doctor was not carrying front sprockets. Those will have to wait for another visit. My friend was feeling out of sorts due to a recent relationship breakup so a short ride was out of the question. She went back home, and I turned back northward. The weather had turned fairly decent following a few days of rain. I was feeling bad that I hadn't got out for a good training ride. When I got to Taylor Street, a climb of almost 400 ft in elevation, I did four repeats. Not exactly the workout I was looking for, but it got the old heartrate up a bit.

 ................road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today.............15...............0.............0..........0.............15 Jan..................93..............0..............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............653..............0.............0.........0............653 April...............59.............0...............0.........0............59 Total.............1219.............0...............0.........0..........1219

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.