Monday, December 28, 2009

108 miles today to Palm Desert

108 miles today counting the ride to Best Western. Absolutely awesome ride, 17.6 avg. Better focus on nutrition today paid off.
(posted via cell phone)

UPDATE:

As usual, I woke up early. The wind was just howling, perhaps 35-40mph. At our breakfast the entire group was talking about the winds. Luckily by the time we started out it had died down a bit. There was a century on tap today and I was determined to keep better tabs on my hydration and caloric intake.

The route started out with a downward sloping run with a following wind. I can do those! ;-) We took a turn and began climbing. It was a blustery morning and with the course turn the wind was slightly in our face.

It would appear that wind is a common occurrence given a street name of "Breezy" and road signs warning us of winds.

After about 14 miles I summited the climb. After a bit of rollers the fun descent of Montezuma Grade began. The views into the Colorado Desert were amazing as I made my way down the long grade at 35-40 mph. Speed was kept in check by the headwind.

The fun descent ended at the "snow bird" community of Borrego Springs.

I was feeling great and pedaling strong. Paying attention to eating and drinking was paying off. The wind had died down and wasn't a major factor on the desert floor. I continued to be in awe of the desert landscape. I noted that one of the varieties of cactus had a few red blooms on it. I was stopping from time to time to take photos and just take the view in.

As the route turned towards the Salton Sea we hit a section of ROUGH pavement reminiscent of the rough Kel-Baker section on the Furnace Creek 508. Luckily it only lasted a couple of miles.

Reached the shores of the Salton Sea and turned northward. We were riding along a busier road but had a nice wide paved shoulder. Life was good.

I continued riding generally northward towards Palm Springs. Our stop for the night would be in Palm Desert, a Palm Springs metro suburb.

As the route crossed the Riverside County line there was a notable increase in greenery. In this case the cactus of the desert had given way to dates, palms,and citrus.

I stopped at a small convenience store and replenished liquids, grabbed a snack, and visited a bit with delivery driver who was there on his rounds.

Back on the bike I continued along the route. I was just toodling along about 15-17 mph when I see a large group of cyclists gaining on me. Before long I was overtaken by about 20 cyclists in a double paceline being led at better than 20mph by James and Drew. They howled and greeted me with a "Hey Desert Coyote!" as they passed. I knew where my bread was buttered and latched on.

After a mile or so I worked my way to the front to see if they wanted me to pull for awhile. They declined! I fell in behind them and began taking a few photos and visiting with them. Drew was riding with PowerCranks and explained that soft pedaling with them was very difficult so he preferred to pull.

These two guys continued pulling the group the last 15-20 miles into Palm Desert at 22 mph+. Animals!

Reached Palm Desert early in the day, just prior to 2PM. I had averaged just over 17 mph (with help from the paceline for the last miles) and felt great.

The attention to food and water had payed off.

That evening as we ate and socialized I heard many who were suffering a bit after a 100 mile ride. 100+ mile rides are my strength. I just smiled and shook my head when asked if I was tired. ;-)

Tomorrow we ride to Hemet, a shorter ride, but likely with fabled headwinds.



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles Today
................108...............0................108
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total...1603.....+.........0........=......1603
Sept total.....1403.....+.........0........=......1403
October.........503.....+.........0........=.......503
November........664.....+.........0........=.......664
December........766.....+.........0........=.......766
Year to date..10,542.....+........30.......=.....10,572 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.