Saturday, January 10, 2015

Drizzle and Wet

It was slightly foggy early this morning, but the fog soon dissipated, and was replaced by drizzle. I probably should have taken the rain bike.  Those full fenders with buddy flaps front and rear sure make wet rides if not enjoyable, at least tolerable. Instead I chose the fun factor of the fixie.

I really didn't expect the light rain to continue.  I was wrong.

It never rained hard, it just kept dripping.  The cars had wipers on delay all day.

I planned to ride to Hillsboro to finish the low voltage lighting project that I didn't have time to finish three days ago.

Never liking to ride the same route repeatedly, I mapped different roads for this trip.  From Wilsonville to the south fringes of Tigard would be the same. It is pretty hard to beat the Cook Park path.  The part that is hard to beat is that it is the shortest distance to Durham from Tualatin, and of course there are no motor vehicles.  Today the tailwind was also a plus.  I pedaled along in the high teens, pretty good for me on the fixed gear.  The water and road grit was really flying off the front wheel.  I had my clip on fender on the seat post, so a rooster tail wasn't getting me from the back.
I had my goretex booties over my tennis shoes, but my wool socks were what saved me today. As my dad used to say, "No matter how wet and cold you are, you are always warm and dry with wool".

I made the turn in south Beaverton and started west. I had mapped the route to take residential through streets.  It was a pretty good move.  I was on very low traffic roads, with 25 mph speed limits most of the way.

Seattle friends take note, this is what pavement is supposed to look like.

The temperature was in the high 30's, that coupled with the moisture falling made the day feel very cool.

I got to mom's and used the screwdriver that I found on the ride out to get the lights back up and running properly.

I also found $0.36 today!

 Mom wasn't home which saved me some time.  I got back on the road quickly and started pedaling back the same way I came.  It was still raining lightly.  Puddles were out in full force,  As I pedaled along Fanno Creek I was sure that the water was higher than when I pedaled out.  The wind was never strong, but it was noticeable as I rode back against it.

Despite the rain, and lack of fenders, it was still a fun day to be on the bike.  There is just something fun about riding a fixed gear bike.


Oh, and it was my 71st consecutive day on the bike.

 ...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today............55...............0..............0...............0................55 Jan...............274...............0...............0...............0...............274
Total............274...............0...............0...............0...............274 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.