Saturday, November 30, 2019

Day 30 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

Well, I successfully rode my bike outside for at least 5 miles every day in November. The #ridingeverydayinNovember group started out with the most participants ever (63) but within 2 weeks nearly half dropped out, or were removed for not participating.  We ended up with 36 folks doing their best to ride outside every day. Less than half of those were successful in riding every day. The results will filter in over the next few days, but I suspect this is our lowest success rate in the 6 years we've been doing this.

In NW Oregon we've had record setting weather. We recorded 1.3" of rain this month, far less than our normal 5.3" and just had our first frost this past week. At least in our part of the country, the weather wasn't what kept people from riding bike. I felt a little guilty that here we had such nice weather, but not as guilty as I did 4 years ago.  Most cited not having enough time.

I've had a busier month than normal with some several real estate deals, fire service, and bike crewing gigs vying for my time. I am most proud of getting my daily miles in even on the day I drove over 1100 miles home from crewing for Lisa Bliss at the 6/12/24 World Time Trail Championships. I even managed to get on the bike while crewing for Lisa.

My longest ride was only 64 miles, but that ended up being my longest ride this year. My total miles for the month was a paltry 437 but they were all on the fixie, and that nearly doubled my miles for the year.

Last year I was trying to get 508 miles in the month in homage to my Furnace Creek 508 finish, but the garbage truck had other plans. If I had been thinking about it sooner, I certainly could have biked another 2.36 miles each day and got the 508 miles.

As it was, I ended up about two days short of getting those miles. All that aside, I did have a great ride today!

The weather forecast calls for a good chance of snow tonight, but the morning looked good (though cold at 21 degrees!)  The sky to the north looked like this:

 But toward the south (where our weather usually comes from) looked like this.


I started from Juanita Pohl Center in downtown Tualatin at 11:30, waiting for it to get a bit warmer and melt any ice.  ......as if that was going to happen.  The lakes along the trail had a thin layer of ice covering them all day.


I took alternate routes on the way out just to keep things interesting.



The Tualatin River was as lazy as ever, with just the slightest visible current.

With my late start, it was lunch time by the time I got just over half way in.  Luckily, this is a semi urban ride.  City services are never far away.


I reached Garden Home, the terminus of the Fanno Creek Trail.  I turned around and started back down river with a nice tailwind.
The clouds kept creeping in.  By 2 PM the sun was nearly blotted out by the whispy clouds.


I got back to Juanita Pohl Center and it was not yet raining, and I wanted a few more miles, so I turned down the Tualatin River Greenway trail and rode to Browns Ferry Landing Park, and took a few side loops along the way.


I ended up with 32 miles, exactly half as far as I rode yesterday, but I'm okay with that.

.........Road Bike......Rollers........MTB...........Lifecycle......Total

Today ....32...................0.................0......................0.............32
Jan...........0.................. 0..................0......................0...............0
Feb...........0..................0..................0......................0...............0
March.......0..................0..................0......................0...............0
April.........0..................0..................0......................0...............0
May..........0..................0..................80....................0..............80
June........63.................0..................59.....................0............122
July.........86.................0..................78.....................0............164
August....24.................0...................0......................0..............24
September.23...............0...................0......................0..............23
October.......0...............0...................0......................0................0
November...437...........0...................0......................0............437

YTD.........633...............0................217...................0.............950

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.