Sunday, February 8, 2015

100, 100, and done



In late October I challenged people via several Facebook groups to join me in riding every day in November. Miles didn't matter nearly as much as just getting on the bike everyday. I was surprised by the number and geographic diversity of the people who accepted the challenge. When November came to an end, I, and many others had succeeded in biking everyday.  Most had much more challenging conditions than I did.  I felt guilty, so I decided to ride every day in December too.  During December, Dave Elsberry, a noted ultracyclist, jokingly said I should "go for a hundred".   I started thinking that might be a good goal, so I continued on through January.

The consecutive days on the bike kept moving upward.  Finally, as 100 days neared, my birthday came on day 97, and I planned my annual birthday ride for Saturday,  day 99.
I was surprised, and honored, when Shona Donovan, who lives in Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand rode 60 miles and hoisted a beer in observance of my birthday ride.













I had confided to just a few people that I thought a good way to commemorate my 100th consecutive day on the bike would be to ride 100 miles.

Today Barry Dickson, who lives in Ashburn, Virginia, and who I'll be crew chief for on the 860 mile Race Across the West this year, also got into the spirit of this craziness doing his 100 mile ride as a tribute to my effort to finish this 100 days off right.

I am humbled by this showing of support from distant locales.

Today I hopped on the rain bike and started off on the Wilsonville Century.  It is a route I used to ride often when I was training for Race Across Oregon and Furnace Creek 508.  I haven't biked the route in several years now, but it's location close to home made it an obvious choice.


I rode 1 mile to the start of the route and in short order was at the Canby Ferry, my mode of travel to get across the Willamette River. Beginning in 2012, Clackamas County, the operator of the ferry, began charging bikes $2 to use the ferry. Today was the first time I've been subject to the fee.
It is a quaint river crossing, though if a car is charged $4, it seems a bit steep to charge bikes $2.



The Willamette River is high and muddy after all the recent rain.


  The water level is high enough that the Wheatland Ferry, 38 river miles upstream, is closed.  The Canby Ferry, the one I'd be crossing today, is less prone to high water closure though.

Once across the river I was beyond the Urban Growth Boundary and the view was mostly pastoral.


Unlike yesterday, the wind today wasn't a big factor most of the time.  The weather was a bit unsettled and from time to time a short lived brisk breeze would pick up.  (by early evening thunderstorms were in the area)




 I had been gently climbing since exiting the Canby Ferry but after leaving Molalla,  around mile 29, the road tipped up a bit more.  I would climb a bit harder for the next 5 miles up "Bird Hill".  It was nice to have gears for the way up, and really nice to have a freewheel on the way down!


I would pass through Scotts Mills and Silverton before skirting Salem and turning back northward.
I had not had a drop of rain all day and Mt Hood was looking pretty nice. It was making me wish I was carrying my camera, instead of using my phone to take photos.


With about 30 miles to go I started getting a few random drops of rain. With about 20 miles to go the rain began falling a bit harder, but still just light rain.  It was nothing like the deluge we pedaled through yesterday.

I got back to Wilsonville shortly after 4PM.  With my commute to and from the route I added a total of 2 miles to the "official" 100.4 miles.

Riding 100 miles was a fitting way to end my 100th consecutive day on the bike. While mileage was never the goal, I'd be remiss if I didn't note that I rode 2297 miles during those 100 days.

I'll continue to ride, but will no longer be concerned about keeping the string going.  Thanks to those who've cheered me on.  It's been fun!

...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total

Today.............102...............0..............0...............0.................102 Jan...............765...............0...............0...............0...............765
Feb................228...............0...............0...............0................228
Total............993...............0...............0...............0...............993

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.