Sunday, November 24, 2019

Day 24 of #ridingeverydayinNovember..............a Boring ride.

The weather forecast calls for a wet couple of days beginning late tonight so I figured it may be my best chance to ride more than the 5-10 miles I've been riding most days during the #ridingeverydayinNovember challenge. (if you are not a member of the group you won't be able to see it until Dec 7-ish.)

Today I hauled the fixed gear to the eastern end of the on road gap between the Willamette River and the rest of the trail.  Why take the chance of sharing the road with cars when I don't have to.  It would cut two miles off the round trip.

I began on the slightly uphill route east and noted that it now looked much more like winter than it did just a few short weeks ago.


When I got to Cartlandia I stopped for a late lunch. I still wasn't sure if I was going to ride all the way to the end of the trail in Boring, so I took my time.


I finally hopped back on the bike and continued eastward. The weather didn't give a hint of what was supposed to arrive later this evening.


I kept watching my odometer.  I was hoping to get at least 30 miles in.  It would be my longest ride of the month.  By the time I got 15 miles in (out and back route, 15 would give me 30 total) I was only 3 miles from Boring.  I had lights on the bike so I pressed on, not terribly worried if it got dark before I got back.

I arrived in Boring, a community named after a Union Soldier since we are a northern state and don't honor Confederates easily.



There is a lot of history surrounding Boring, and like many of the towns, it history can be traced back through logging and railroads.

Today it is the end of the Springwater trail. You can click on any photo to view it full size, making it easier to read the text.






I turned around just after 3:30 PM, knowing that I had 18 miles to travel, and being on the fixie, that was going to be a tall order to complete the ride before the sun set at 4:35 PM. I pedaled the slight downgrade pretty hard.  I stopped to turn my front and rear lights on blink mode as I took the on street detour around a trail bridge that was being replaced.  It was getting close enough to dark that I just left them on when I rejoined the trail.

I made it back to my pickup well before dark, but the light was dim enough that I was happy I had my lights along and on.

It ended up being my longest ride of November, with only two rides in all of 2019 being longer.(both on the Banks Vernonia Linear Park trail)  Pretty pathetic from someone who used to ride 10,000 plus mile years.




Today ...36....................0.................0......................0..............36

Jan...........0.................. 0..................0.....................0................0

Feb...........0..................0..................0......................0...............0

March.......0..................0..................0.....................0................0

April..........0.................0..................0......................0...............0

May..........0..................0..................80....................0..............80

June........63.................0..................59....................0..............122

July..........86.................0..................78...................0..............164

August......24.................0.................0.....................0...............24

September.23................0.................0......................0...............23

October........0................0.................0.....................0................0

November...287..............0.................0.....................0............287

YTD.........483...............0................217...................0.............700

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.