Monday, November 18, 2019

Day 18 of #ridingeverydayinNovember



Today there was a 77% chance of rain, mostly in the afternoon.  I rode early. Yesterday I had noted a trail sign that said that the trail from Tualatin Community Park continued on eastward after a few blocks on a sidewalk next to the road.  Today I went to the other trailhead down the way.


The walkway had a representation of the Tualatin River, where it was setup as a timeline where one step equaled approximately 25 years.  I started in the time when Giant Sloths, Mastodons, and Sabre Tooth Salmon were common and worked my way forward in time. (you can click on any photos to view a full size version and read the text more easily.


I pedaled by signs telling me of cataclysmic eruptions of Mt St Helens and Mt Mazama, as well as the land changing Missoula Floods.

I pedaled along the path the followed the river.  I was reminded that the lazy river of today can be much larger! I also spotted another beaver today, and again he eluded my phone's camera


I clearly remember that flood, and how it was nearly impossible to get around with all the bridges and low lying roads under water..

My progress along the trail came to a sudden stop when I found myself 10 feet above the ground with a barrier blocking my way.  It seems that there is a parcel of land where a former trailer park kept the path from crossing their land.  Since I found a matching trail stub on the other side, and the trailer park is now empty, I presume that the trail will be completed through the gap in the near future.


On the other side of the former trailer park, I found myself on the Willamette Meridian. I was raised very near the Willamette Baseline and have traveled Baseline Road both in the Portland Metro area and as a gravel road in the Tillamook Forest.







Armed with all the facts I needed to navigate in the area I proceeded on.

I reached a section of trail that was too steep for me to pedal on my fixed gear.


The sky was darkening and I was at Brown Park, the end of the trail, so I picked my way back through quiet streets.



Today.......7..................0.................0......................0..............7

Jan...........0.................. 0..................0.....................0...............0

Feb...........0..................0..................0.....................0...............0

March.......0..................0..................0.....................0...............0

April..........0.................0..................0......................0..............0

May..........0..................0..................80....................0..............80

June........63.................0..................59....................0..............122

July..........86.................0..................78...................0..............164

August......24.................0.................0.....................0..............24

September.23................0.................0......................0..............23

October........0................0.................0.....................0................0

November...201..............0.................0.....................0............201

YTD.........397...............0................217...................0.............614

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.