Friday, November 29, 2019

Day 29 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

Today is the 29th day of  the #ridingeverydayinNovember cycling challenge.  The weather was clear, and the coldest morning so far this month at 30.9 F, though it has been unusually warm and dry. I decided to go for a longer ride since my calendar was clear, just like the sky!

I loaded up the bike, and some warmer than usual clothing, and drove to Sellwood Riverside Park, thinking I'd ride to Boring and back as well as a loop into downtown Portland on the Eastbank Esplanade. It would be my longest ride this month, and this year!  I planned to ride eastward to Boring first, but as I was preparing to pedal I heard a steam whistle. I hopped on the bike and quickly pedaled up to the RR tracks to capture the Holiday Express.

                              

I continued on toward the Eastbank Esplanade since I was already a half mile into the trip.  It was a beautiful day and perfect for photos.  I took photos of all the bridges when I did my bridge tour, so today I only stopped to get a photo of the Ross Island Bridge, since I didn't get a very good angle from the opposite side of the river last time.


I continued on up to the Steel Bridge and crossed the Willamette River then followed the trail on the west side of the river back upstream to the Hawthorne Bridge where I crossed back over the river   again.  I took a little exploratory detour out Tilikum Way and followed it to SE 17th, knowing that it connected to the Springwater Corridor in the Sellwood neighborhood.  17th got a bit too busy and congested to suit me, so I moved over to the more friendly SE 22nd and rode down through Westmoreland Park.  The annual Milk Carton Boat Races are held here. I was surprised to see that the shallow pond is drained this time of year.


The ducks were relegated to the adjacent Crystal Springs Creek.


I got down to the Sprinwater Corridor and followed it out to Cartlandia where I had a much needed Shrimp Basket!


I finished lunch then continued my trip up the slightly uphill path and into the wind.  I got to Boring and turned around without much delay.  I wanted to get a photo of Mt Hood today, and there aren't many places better than from Marine Drive.  I was hoping to have time to make that out and back trip.  I pedaled pretty hard and managed to make it. The sun is only up 9 hours this time of year and though I had my lights along, I'd prefer to ride in daylight.


I turned around and used the tailwind and descending trail to make good time.  I arrived back at Sellwood Riverside Park before needing lights.

I was a good day, and my longest ride of the year! :-O



It looks like the unusually dry weather will continue long enough to get a dry ride in tomorrow for the last day of the challenge.  Snow is predicted tomorrow night.  It will be cold though, it is already 23F as I type this. (just after 10 PM)

...........Road Bike......Rollers........MTB...........Lifecycle......Total

Today ....64...................0.................0......................0.............64
Jan...........0.................. 0..................0......................0...............0
Feb...........0..................0..................0......................0...............0
March.......0..................0..................0......................0...............0
April.........0..................0..................0......................0...............0
May..........0..................0..................80....................0..............80
June........63.................0..................59.....................0............122
July.........86.................0..................78.....................0............164
August....24.................0...................0......................0..............24
September.23...............0...................0......................0..............23
October.......0...............0...................0......................0................0
November...405...........0...................0......................0............405

YTD.........601...............0................217...................0.............918

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.