Monday, April 7, 2014

Day 7 of #30daysofbiking-Going home

It was going to be a glorious day.  Finally at 10:30 AM I had my other duties finished and hopped on the carbon bike for the 3rd time this year.  I did not have a plan.  As I rode out the driveway I turned left and headed for the Boone Bridge to cross the Willamette River.

Crossing the Boone Bridge involves riding on the shoulder of Interstate 5.  Heading southbound is the easier direction as the bridge slopes downward in that direction.  It is easy to maintain 25+ mph for the 1100 ft of bridge and another similar distance before taking the first exit.  The shoulder of the bridge can be quite debris littered, especially in winter, but today it was pretty good.

I still did not have a plan of where to pedal to, but thought I might head south to Salem.  If I did that I'd end up with about 70 miles, and I wasn't sure I wanted to ride that much.

I hopped on Boone's Ferry Road, not that I planned to go any particular place, only that I had not pedaled it in quite some time. When I got to the southern end of it at Hwy 99E, I jogged left then right because I had pedaled that intersection a couple of years ago and knew it would take me south without having to be on the busier Hwy 99E.

I kept taking turns based on how much interest they generated.  I ended up in Mt Angel, primarily because I was getting hungry and knew I could get food there. ;-)  Mt Angel is noted for a big Octoberfest celebration, but this time of year church is what stands out.

St Mary's Catholic Church

It definitely felt like a Spring day.  Temperature reached 74 and the countryside was alive in green. I left Mt Angel and headed toward Silverton.

Mt Hood in the distance

 As I neared Silverton I made my only intentional turn of the day.  I took a small detour to share with my faithful readers the Gallon House Covered Bridge. I noted that the bridge was constructed in 1916, when my dad was 1 year old.  I pondered what the countryside looked like then, and also how they crossed the river before the bridge was built. 

Gallon House Bridge over Abiqua Creek

 In Silverton I turned onto Victor Point Road because I've biked it before and thought it might be fun.
It took me up into the foothills.


 I only climbed about 3300 ft today, but most of that was in this area. I got to Sublimity. I started seeing directional signs for Stayton and Mill City.  I probably would have pedaled that way, since I've biked there before and loved the scenery and route as it made it's way up the Santiam River Canyon.  Today however I noted that with my late start, and over 50 miles on the odometer, it was time to start back northward, or at least stop going farther away!

In Sublimity I followed signs for Aumsville.  I knew where Aumsville was, but am not entirely sure if I've ever actually been there.  I can check that box now, for I did indeed get to Aumsville.  From Aumsville I followed the road toward Turner, because I knew that it was near I-5 and south of Salem.  At this point I was consciously making turns to get myself through Salem and out the other side in the Keizer area.  From there I knew the best roads to get me back home.

All day I had my Garmin on, but with no route loaded.  It was on only so that I could record today's wanderings.  The Garmin must have had other plans. As I rode along Turner road I came across this. It was as if the Garmin was subliminally directing me to take it home. 


I had no idea that Garmin had a local presence.  I entered Salem and found that the Willamette Valley Scenic Bikeway had been rerouted. I am leading a ride on the WVSB in late June and found it interesting that it had been rerouted so far from it's original location.  I was following the new route as it directed me near the Oregon State Fairgrounds.

I got on River Road and passed through Keizer. As I was nearing the last vestiges of town I backtracked a couple hundred feet after thinking that some chocolate milk might just be the ticket to get me through the last 30 or so miles.  Fortified by 400+ calories, and loads of potassium and sodium, I pedaled on with new vigor.

It was still scenic.

I pedaled along River Road until French Prairie Rd gave me another option.  I took a right turn when I saw the sign for St Louis.

I kept making turns that would bring me in a northwesterly direction.  I had to get back to Boone Bridge to get across the Willamette River, or ride 25-30 miles more to take alternate crossings either upstream or downstream.  I jogged east on Feller Rd to get back on Boone's Ferry Rd. As I rode along Boones Ferry Rd the odometer rolled over 100 miles.  I was not planning on a century today, but alas, the sun was shining!

Before long I was back at the Boone Bridge.  I crossed back over, slightly uphill, but assisted by a slight tailwind.

I finished up the ride with the sun still well above the horizon.



............road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today........104................0..............0...............0..........104 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........293.................0..............0...............0..........293 Total..........2282...............0..............0...............0.........2282









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.