Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 21 of #30daysofbiking-Back in the saddle

The day dawned with a 50% chance of rain.  The morning didn't look too bad and I even got some gardening in.  Shortly after noon I pedaled out.

The first order of business was to eat lunch.  I turned toward University Village and availed myself of a fine plate of fish and chips.  It was a nice afternoon to eat lunch sitting near Ravenna Creek, though the creek now flows under University Village in pipes and is not visible.

Rather than climb back up to the Burke-Gilman Trail (and having to cross a busy street) I just turned right and paralleled the trail.  When I got to Magnuson Park I explored the area a bit.  I saw the off leash dog park, which today was busy with dogs and dog owners.  I then strolled around the local community garden.


I continued northward, coming to an area occupied by a sailing school.


 I pedaled out to Logboom Park  In the past I had seen sign there warning of pollution in lake side sediments as well as fish.  Today I saw a new sign.


 I dallied there for a bit taking in the view, and enjoying the sunshine.

Before long I decided that if I were going to get miles today I was going to have to get moving.  I rolled along at a pretty good pace.  I thought about riding around Lake Washington but wasn't sure I knew the route around the east side. It is not well marked and I did not have the route on my Garmin today. As I neared Redmond the sky darkened a bit.  I was beginning to think that with a 50% chance of rain, my luck might be running out.  I had a reasonable distance to get back home, so I turned around and started pedaling vigorously.

The return trip went pretty well.  Just north of the Children's Hospital the Burke-Gilman divides with a narrow path for each direction.  I was coming up behind a slow rider on a flat bar bike, equipped with earbuds. I gave my bell a ring but it appeared he didn't hear it.  No problem, I'd just pace behind him for another 20 feet until the trail rejoined and I had room to pass.  The guy goes slower and slower, until he's rolling along about 5 mph. I'm about 5 feet behind him.  Suddenly he wobbles a bit diagonal and stops, completely blocking the narrow path.  I clamp the brakes and come to a stop less than a foot from his back tire, just about going down in the process.  I admonished him for stopping in the middle of the path.  He apologizes and said he didn't know I was behind him.  No need to get into a conversation with him, he still had the earbuds in.  I went around him and hammered.

I kept up a good pace.  When I got to Queen Anne there were a few cars also going up, and not wanting to inconvenience them, I pushed hard.  I made it from Seattle Pacific University to the top of Queen Ann via the Kralik Route in new record time for me!


...........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today.........59................0..............0...............0............59 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........536.................0..............0...............0..........536 Total..........2425...............0..............0...............0.........2525

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.