Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 14 of #30daysofbiking-Alki Beach

 It was a day to ride to Seattle landmarks.  I of course wouldn't have time to ride to all of them and I wasn't even sure which way I was going to ride.  By the time I rolled out it was almost lunch time, so I rolled down Queen Anne to Dick's Drive-in.  As I munched on a burger and chocolate milkshake I decided that a ride to Alki might be just about right.  Shorter than I had hoped for, but given afternoon plans I decided that it might be just what I had time for.

From Dick's I continued on down the hill to the waterfront.  I rode past another Seattle landmark, Ivar's. My friend Julie knew Ivar, that and $4 will get me a latte. ;-)

I rode by the ferry terminal.  I guess that the ferries could be considered a landmark. I rode by the new Hwy 99 tunnel project.  Whether that will be a landmark is yet to be seen. 

I stopped at a small park/overlook to look over the industrial waterfront.

Almost looks like something from Star Wars!
and a view of the Olympic Peninsula
From there I continued on to the West Seattle Bridge and crossed the "industrialized' Duwamish River.
The Duwamish has an interesting past, a series of Green, White, Black, and Cedar, a tangled web to be woven.


I rolled along Harbor Avenue, with it's great views across the water toward downtown Seattle.  It was a nice day with a few kayakers out for a paddle in the open water.


The Alki Beach area has always reminded me of Mission Bay in San Diego. If Alki just had a few dozen palm trees, and an additional 20-40 degrees it would be "just-like" southern California.  ;-) It is probably the multilevel housing right on the waveless beach the reminds me of SD.


I stopped and read a historical monument.  It seems that Seattle was founded by the Denny Party.  They sailed from Portland on the Schooner Exact in 1851.  I suppose that Seattleites should thank Portlanders for sending Arthur Denny northward!  ;-)


With all my "touristing" it was now time to get back to Queen Anne.  It had taken 2.5 hours to get to Alki, I was gambling that I could get back in an hour.


Success! I did make it back in one hour exactly.  The return route was a bit shorter with more climbing in the West Seattle area, and a bit longer on the north end of my route as I looped around Queen Anne to take "The Kralik Way".

It was a nice day, and a great way to check the box in front of day 14 of #30daysofbiking.


...........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today.........28................0..............0...............0............28 Jan............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........701.............0..............0...............0............701
April..........433.................0..............0...............0..........433 Total..........2422...............0..............0...............0.........2422

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.