Monday, March 30, 2009

WWJD? WWCD?

What would Jesus do?
What would a cyclist do?
What the heck should I do?

After a few hours of email wrangling over the current state of affairs with the blue SUV issue I tossed my hands in the air and jumped on my bike. It is predicted to be the last dry day for the week and I just figured I should take advantage of it, and simultaneously pedal off some frustration.

I took off somewhat randomly and ended up with this. It was a pretty decent route, and by far the nicest weather of the last few days.

Back to the Blue SUV thing. I contacted a lawyer who I'd spoken to earlier to confer about the possibility of a civil suit. After much back and forth it boils down to this. In his professional opinion, if I do anything to stir the pot the Marion County DA will likely pursue the Criminal Mischief 2 charges against me that he originally chose to not prosecute. He adds that I'd likely be convicted because threat of future harm does not allow for current action. He says just lie low and let Kharma take it's toll.

So folks, I get to weigh whether it's a good trade to accept a likely criminal record to pursue a guy who menaced, drove recklessly, endangered us, threatened me, intentionally hit me, fled the scene, then gave a false statement to police.

The "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", "or the one" (Star Trek-Wrath of Khan)

But since I too am looking for paying employment (plenty of volunteer gigs thank you very much) I don't need the criminal conviction on my currently clean record.

What WOULD Jesus do?
What would a CYCLIST do?
What should I do?

I've got it, find me a well paying job that will carry me for the next 10 years even if I get a criminal conviction. I'll go to bat for my fellow cyclists and bring this guy to his knees.

Or maybe I should just go ride my bike.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............94...............0.................94
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....817.....+.........0........=.......817
Year to date...1929.....+.........30.......=......1959
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 comments:

  1. Don't know what I would do in this situation. I know I'd be steamed, that's for sure. I'd want to include that route on every weekend ride so he can get used to me on "his" road, although I'd also then be afraid of him telling the police I've "been harassing him after attacking his SUV for no reason".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps plan a few club rides past his house. The usual requirements, ...pump, spare tube, helmet....video camera! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would let it go. The other party, as you, has had time to review his actions and hopefully come to realize his stupidity. If you move forward, it is not certain that he would be convicted by a jury of his peers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a sad commentary on the current state of affairs in cycling that you may need to get and use a helmet cam.

    Too bad the original event had not been captured, as that would have put the lying SOB in the SUV away for awhile.

    Maybe a group with cams could ride his route and catch him in the act.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.