Sunday, March 8, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like.......................



No ride around Hagg Lake today!



I am supposed to lead a ride around Hagg Lake today. It was 32 in Forest Grove this morning with snow on the landscape but the roads were mostly clear. I drove up to the lake and on the west end there is more than an inch of snow on the road, with ice under it, and the temp was 30. The Banana Belt race was cancelled, and common sense said ours would be too. I did have a herd of about 20 elk cross in front of me as I drove near Scoggin Creek, and another larger herd was down in the fields below the dam this morning. Silly me didn't get a photo of them however!



Our Hagg Lake ride has morphed into a Forest Grove to Newberg and back ride. We'll stay flat on the valley floor in an attempt to bypass the snow and ice issues.
An update to follow later today on how it all went.

UPDATE:
Dave and I rode off from the Grand Lodge and were going to ride to Newberg. We rode into a pretty stiff and cold wind. By the time we got a couple miles out I opted to turn so the wind was at our side. We took a zig zag route to Scholls Elementary School, where Reach the Beach starts then rode out Barrows Rd and a few others to get to Tigard.

We stopped by the Tualatin Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center just outside Sherwood. We both decided we should go back when we have more time to take in all the sights.
(all decked out for the rain that never came!)

We rode back to Forest Grove via Scholls-Sherwood Rd with a little turn up and over Clark Hill Rd to Tile Flat. It was a really good day to ride....who would have guessed?!!! We didn't have a drop of rain or snow on the entire ride. It did start snow mixed with rain as we sat down in the Grand Lodge to have our post ride debriefing! Coming up next week is the Snoozeville Populaire, a metric century hosted by the Oregon Randonneurs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............53...............0.................53
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....149.....+.........0........=.......149
Year to date...1265.....+.........30.......=......1295
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

4 comments:

  1. Glad I caught the email about the cancellation before I headed out there. Mind if I use one of your snow photos on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ride wasn't cancelled, we just changed the route to stay in the lower elevations.

    Sure, go ahead and use one, I'd appreciate photo credit and a link back to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, sorry. You were talking about the Banana Belt race, not my little group ride! Yup, the race was canceled. A good move in my estimation. That road around the lake was yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sure was pretty, though! We didn't get anything here yesterday, but it was snowing earlier, and has still not cleared away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.