Sunday, March 1, 2009

wet


(click on photo to see full size image)
I started the day by volunteering as a follow car for the women's cat 4 race at the Banana Belt series. It's tough duty following fit ladies for 30 miles, but somebody has to do it! ;-) I was scheduled for 9 to 10AM, but it ran late.

Usually no big deal, but today I was to lead another "training series ride" for my social bike group beginning from Grand Lodge at 11AM. I ended up not leaving Hagg Lake until just a few minutes after 11AM. I called my group (7 riders) and gave them the first few turns of the route. We were going to ride from Grand Lodge to Hagg Lake via Fernhill, Springhill and Gaston. I met them as they made the turn onto Springhill. It was raining lightly as I joined them. That would be the weather of the day as it rained continuously for our entire ride. Just a note that this was more rain in one ride than I've had since the first of the year total. Not whining, just making a note of the great string of riding weather we've had so far this year.
We enjoyed our lap of the lake (in the opposite direction of the racers) and nobody had much trouble.


Kris at one point noted, "Hey, look at ME....I'm riding around Hagg Lake in MARCH!"

I'm proud of all those who've made the commitment to join the training series. Days like today make it more like homework, but we can all see the progress that this riding is giving us. I have no doubt that these folks will reach their riding goals this year.

I cut a few miles off from the rest by cutting over to get my pickup which was parked along Fernhill Rd as they pedaled directly on to Grand Lodge.

Luis had other commitments, but the other 6 of us went into the bike friendly McM's and had some warm food and a brew.

It was a good end to a good, though wet, ride.

A rather interesting update on "the issue".
I was riding that day with friends, and it should be no surprise that I continue to ride with them. Yesterday one of the guys who was there that day got a call from the Marion County Sheriff. Seems they just wanted him to recount the story. To see if it changed? Are they contemplating more charges? Another of the riders got the same call today. Same request.

Not sure what it all means but I will keep you updated.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............26...............0.................26
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total......27.....+.........0........=........27
Year to date...1142.....+.........30.......=......1172
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1 comment:

  1. have you considered involving one of the area bicycle advocacy groups?

    It sounds like the "justice" system in your area (or at the very least the responding officer) aren't "pro-bike" (or even interested in upholding the law)

    Seriously, what you were fined for could be expensive and it's BS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.