Sunday, March 15, 2009

no riding, but very bikey

The organizer of the ride I was going to participate in today said it would cancel if it rained. I removed my affirmative RSVP about Thursday when it became obvious that there would be rain today......lots of rain. I volunteered for the OBRA Banana Belt race today instead.



My morning duties were driving support vehicle for Women's 4 and Masters Women. The ladies were troopers, diligently riding through wind, rain, slick roads,.....and OBRA mandated neutralization when faster divisions wanted to pass.

I'd be ticked if I had busted my behind to open a gap on the field only to have them all catch back up when the group was required to ride 10mph in double lines so the faster folks could pass.

No wonder there is a saying that the women ride 2 laps and race 1. It is a waste of energy to race too early.

In the afternoon I filled in for a no show and became a corner marshal for turn 1.

I had one "self-entitled" motorhome driver pulling a trailer full of ORV's honk at me as I was holding up the stop sign. I went back to talk to him (gee, haven't I learned my lesson yet?) I went back to tell him it would just be a minute, the racers were coming around the corner in a matter of moments.
He responded with an "Are they taking up the whole f$%^ing road?"
I didn't hit his mirror.... I just said "yes they are" and walked away.

As the racers rounded the corner he roared past me. I radioed ahead to the officials that we had a motorhome with an attitude heading their way.

The day was wet, windy, and just a few degrees warmer than yesterday.
It got windier in the afternoon and the continuous rain turned to sporadic intense showers.

No bike miles for me today, I for the most part stayed warm and dry in my pickup!

As far as the legal issue goes, Marion County Deputy Chris Helbling tried to reach me today about 3PM.... a full 6 1/2 days after I called and Marion County dispatch and they said he would return my call shortly. I was still up at Hagg Lake and cell reception is spotty at best. After playing a bit of phone tag MC Dispatch said he was off on other duties and would try again later. I don't have a direct number for him, I always have to go through dispatch, so when I'm in poor reception areas it's very difficult.

As of 8PM he has not called back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.