Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The rat race

I was looking at my mileage totals a few days ago thinking I was doing pretty well this year........until I looked at last year's to date totals. I had only done 30 miles more than last year. I've been a bit busy with life details, and most of January the ground was snow covered, but that's a pretty poor excuse.

I noted that I was pretty close to logging 800 miles for the month so I set a goal of reaching that milestone. I managed to get that with a little room to spare on my "bonus ride" yesterday.

Late this morning I was to be in Salem for a meeting. It was predicted to be WET today but at daylight it was still dry with no wind. I loaded the bike and headed towards Salem.

When I got to Keizer it was still dry! I parked, unloaded the bike, mapped a course, and took off....with a goal of riding enough miles to break the 2000 mile YTD barrier. Even earlier this week I didn't think that would be likely.

I traveled roads that were familiar to me. Low traffic and/or wide bike friendly shoulders.

In slightly under 2 1/2 hours I was back with my mission accomplished. Probably none to soon. A moderate south wind developed late in my ride and the sky was darkening.
I went to 24 Hour Fitness to shower before going to my meeting and when I exited the building it was raining!

If I had done the Berkie Brevet with my Rando buddies (stories HERE and HERE) I would have had the miles in earlier. However, not being obsessed with structure of Randonneuring, I managed to get the miles, it just took me a few more days to do it........and I had nicer weather!

I've biked 4 days in a row now, I'm ready for a day or two rest.


AND

Still thinking about the SOB SUV.
I've edited all the names and identifiable information from a copy of the police report. I'm probably going to post that here in a day or so unless I get told it's not in the best interest. It will certainly show you what you may be up against if a driver tangles with you. His lies never had to see the light of day and be proven and other cyclists will suffer because he's still out there with his "Stay off MY F$^#*ing ROAD" attitude.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............43...............0.................43
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
Year to date...1972.....+.........30.......=......2002
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.