Wednesday, March 11, 2009

RING RING!












Did you hear that? That's the alarm going off letting Marion County Sheriff Deputy Chris Helbling know that time has expired. On Monday I had called the Marion County DA's Office to inquire about which charges had been filed against the guy who intentionally ran into me with his SUV then fled the scene. They tell me that they cannot comment because the case has not been filed with them. They go on to tell me I should contact the deputy who investigated.

Just over 48 hours have passed since Marion County Dispatch told me that Deputy Helbling was on duty, had been paged, and would return my call shortly. No call yet. Seems unless you drive a motor vehicle you are a second class citizen in Marion County.

A motor vehicle driver can threaten you, intentionally run into you, then flee the scene evidently without facing serious charges. If you are on a bicycle and in response to a threat to your life you hit a mirror with your hand you get the full measure of enforcement.

Maybe I should enlist a few folks in joining me in spending my bicycling dollars outside of Marion County. (with my apologies to Salem Bicycle Club and Santiam Cycle)

9 comments:

  1. Publish the guy's name. I know if I had a guy like that working for me I'd can his ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a person at the BTA and here is their advise....

    If he doesn't already have a lawyer, he should contact somebody at Swanson, Thomas, and Coons - that's Ray Thomas' firm and they are the top bike lawyers in the state. Sounds like the Marion County deputies are out to lunch on bike law and need to be educated.

    Good luck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done both of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you published the plate #. That's a start, but not something the community can use for much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's all I have. I noted the plate number and called the police. They contacted the driver but will not disclose his identity to me.

    Dark blue Dodge Durango, OR plate YDS 956. Male driver, probably mid 60's. Registered with a Canby address. That's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you should know more when it's time for your own court appearance. 5th amendment and all that jazz. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kevin, just wanted to offer my support. Thank you for carrying the torch all the way across the line too! I'm surprised that a hit and run, being a felony and all, isn't being more rigorously investigated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm on the other coast, so daily calls to the Sheriff's office from me, to express my concern, won't do much.

    But if lots of Oregonians call to ask about this case, this might get embarassing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.