Monday, March 16, 2009

In Marion County


I'm in Salem today preparing for a meeting. As I am sitting here at my computer I get a call from Marion County Deputy Chris Helbling, the officer who responded to my incident.

He informs me that the Marion County District Attorney's Office has chosen not to prosecute the case. Evidently neither me, nor the guy who menaced my friends and I, showed a reckless disregard for life by driving closely to us, threatened me, intentionally ran into me with his vehicle, then drove away without performing the duties of a driver. The driver was never charged with violation of any of the laws I thought he should have been charged with.

I'll verify when and if I get official notification that the case against me has been dropped in writing via US Mail.

No worries cycling friends, there will be more updates coming.

7 comments:

  1. How is this possible???????????????????????????

    Is this the end of the road, or can you still pursue charges?

    Has the world gone mad?

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't got "official" notification that the charges against me are not being pursued.
    Once I get that (IF?) I will have access to the police report and other information. Once I get that a determination of a possible next step will be made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF?!?!?!?!

    Once you have notification, I'd be calling not only the major bicycle advocacy groups in your area, but the NEWS stations.

    If you chose to, you could sue him. All you need in civil court is preponderance of evidence, not beyond a reasonable doubt.

    This goes way beyond one incident, this is about cyclists rights

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're preaching to the choir 3L. I'm aware of the possibilities and also aware of my duty to my fellow cyclists. This has never been about "me". I'm just trying to make sure all the pieces fall in place correctly. You only get one chance to make this work.

    Though I'm a member of Cascade they didn't answer my email about any help they might be to give. A closer club that I'm not a member of (but will be soon) has been much more help.

    Having my offer to volunteer as ride ref for Chilly Hilly declined because of the distance I live from Seattle coupled with this issue is making my rethink my Cascade membership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I know you already felt that way, but feeling outraged on your behalf (and the behalf of cyclists everywhere) I had to vent a bit. (it's vent or explode)

    I'm sorry about your recent experiences with CBC. I "kinda" get them staying out of an Oregon issue, (laws are different and they may not want to step on toes of the Oregon clubs) but the ride ref thing still has me scratching my head.

    If you decide to no longer be a member, I'd let them know exactly why (which I'm sure you will)

    Your situation with the vehicular assault and the "law" may even end up being my WTF Wednesday post for this week.

    It's that or people who don't pick up after their dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great case for small claims court. You and the dude, one on one. If you ever get his name.

    It would not do anything for legal vindication just your own personal vindication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. small claims? I'm thinking civil suit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.