Sunday, November 25, 2018

Day 25 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

The mountain was out, so I decided to go for a longer ride today.


Cascade Volcanoes are beautiful, but most present a real danger of lahars, none more so than Mt Rainier, which holds more glacial and permanent ice than all other Cascade Volcanoes combined. I would spend the day riding in the danger zone of this 14,411 stratovolcano.

I decided to drive to Puyallup and ride back up to Buckley on the Foothills Trail.  I had biked the segment from Orting to Buckley a few days ago, but today would be my first time on the lower section of this trail.

There was a historically significant and unique bridge along the way.







That I was in potential danger of a lahar was never far from my mind.  There were evacuation sirens scattered throughout the valley.



The former railroad grade was never far from consciousness either.




I had to chuckle when I saw this sign. I realize that the intent of a lahar evacuation route usually involves getting elevation off the valley floor, but it seemed odd that it would be labeled as a dead end.


I had been spending a lot of time taking photos, but I finally arrived at Buckley, my turn around point for today.


With a bit of a tailwind, and a descending path, I made pretty good time on the return trip.




                       

My longest ride in the last 12 months, and then some.  Making baby steps, but still making them.


........Road Bike........Rollers.......MTB..........Lifecycle......Total

Today .....43.................0..................0....................0............43

Jan.........26................ 0................0.....................0..............26

Feb.........7..................0................0.....................0...............7

March.......5.................0................0.....................0...............5

April.......0.................0...............66.....................0...............66

May.........0..................0..............79......................0...............79

June........2..................0...............0......................0...............2

July........64.................0...............0......................0...............64

August......11..................0...............0.....................0...............11

September 0..................0................0.....................0................0

October 0..................0...............0......................0................0

November 355................0................0......................0...............355

YTD........459...............0...............154.....................0.............613

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.