Friday, November 7, 2014

Day 7 of #bikingeverydayofNovember

I was in Sunriver today and found myself with a couple of hours more or less free in the late afternoon, and a bike in the car.  It didn't take long to come up with a plan.

I started out from Sunriver and pedaled around the resort for a bit.  I rode out to the boat landing, then back along the airport.  I knew it was the right thing to do when I saw that a High Desert Coyote was welcoming me


He finally decided to have dinner, and not invite me, so I went on my way.

Evidently mouse was today's special
We were not the first to be enjoying this large meadow along the banks of the Deschutes River.


I wound my way around the paths and eventually started heading west on South Century Drive.  Compared to  North Century Drive, the views of the mountains are not as spectacular. There is a line of hills between here and the snowcapped peaks, hiding most of them.  One thing I was able to see was that there was little snow on them. It's November, there should be a blanket of snow down to 5000 ft or even lower.  Not this year however.
9068 ft Mt Bachelor

The top of 9177 ft  Broken Top

The top of 10,358 ft South Sister
I kept pedaling along, hoping to get a better view, but I didn't have much time.

I crossed the Little Deschutes River.


Shortly thereafter I crossed the Deschutes River.


The bridge I crossed was the Robert D. Maxwell Veterans Memorial Bridge.


What the memorial sign does not say, is that while Maxwell saved his fellow soldiers by using his body to shield them from a hand grenade blast, he survived that deed! With Veteran's Day approaching, let's not forget the sacrifices and valor of those who served.

I continued on up the road a bit, but soon I had to turn around in order to be back in Sunriver in time for my next meeting.

Unlike on the way over to Central Oregon early Thursday morning, it was going to be a cold night.  As the sun slipped lower in the sky, the air grew markedly colder.  I was glad to roll back into Sunriver before the sun set, and before it got much colder.

It was a great day to be on a bike. (and it's going to be even better tomorrow!)

 ............road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today............26...............0..............0...............0.............26 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov..............88...............0..............0...............0.............88 Total..........5624...............0..............0...............0...........5624

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.