Thursday, November 13, 2014

Day 13 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

As the day dawned there was a skiff of snow on the ground.  By the time it was fully daylight the snow was mostly gone, owing to a steady rain. I "needed" a chocolate frosted bakery treat!  After checking conditions for possible freezing rain or ice, I had to decide which bike to take.  I didn't want to take the carbon bike out with the chance of dumping it down, and it is the least maneuverable bike I have. The rain bike, really a Kona Jake cyclocross bike, came with a set of 38mm knobby tires on high spoke count wheels, but to put them back in the bike would mean removing the fenders and adjusting brake clearance. It also has SPD pedals.  If I'm possibly riding on ice I'd prefer to not be clipped in.  That left the mountain bike, that currently has 2.25" slicks on it, with the mtn bike tires being in storage many miles away, and the fixed gear bike that now has 25mm road tires on it, both of which have flat pedals.

I decided to take the fixed gear bike.  It's lighter and more maneuverable.  I pedaled carefully staying to low traffic residential streets, paths, and sidewalks.

I made it!

While at the shopping center that is home to the bakery I noted this sign.  I couldn't resist taking a photo.

click on the photo for full size
Later in the day I again mounted the fixie and rode to Fry's Electronics to do a little pre-holiday price comparisons.  It was still 33 degrees and raining.  Before entering Fry's, fries were calling my name. I managed to get the bike parked under the eaves of McDonalds and went in for a bit.


It was a cold and wet day and my least favorite kind of weather to ride in. Warmer and drier is better, and surprisingly, so is colder and drier.

The #ridingeverydayinNovember challenge says that even around the block is okay.  I rode a bit farther than that, but not much. It was enough to keep the streak alive though!


...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today.............6...............0..............0...............0..............6 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov.............235...............0..............0...............0............235 Total..........5771...............0..............0...............0...........5771

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.