Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Day 26 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

I had some errands to attend to, and what better way to do them than by bike?  Especially since it was warm and dry in Seattle and I'm still #ridingeverydayinNovember.  It was 62 degrees as I started off.  The sky  was grey, so I packed rain gear just in case, and rolled off the south side of Queen Anne heading toward the Space Needle.


I pedaled through the site of the 1962 World's Fair. 52 years after the fair closed, it's a bit more quiet here now


I smiled as I rolled at the speed of traffic down the center of the right lane of the three laned 2nd Ave.  The new 2 way protected bike lane of death runs down the left side of this one way street. Why any organization or political entity would be proud of such a thing is beyond me.

I turned west and joined the waterfront near where the new tunnel is being built..........oh so slowly.
In addition to the tunnel construction, there is also work being done on the seawall.  It all makes for a cluttered and chaotic scene.  Once I got north of all that craziness I could slow down a bit.




 

 I rode by Terminal 86, Seattle's grain loading facility.  There was a Chinese ship berthed taking on wheat. In Portland wheat shipping is big business, owing to it's location on the Columbia River which provides easy access via barge and sea level rail from Eastern Oregon and Washington wheat country, as well as Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. In Seattle they are more geared for container shipping. The grain facility is state of the art though.  There was no wheat dust at all as they loaded the ship.

Terminal 86 (Port of Seattle photo)
I continued on a bit more and noted that the clouds were low enough that they obscured most of Mt Rainier.

You can just make out the snow covered base of Mt Rainier near each edge of the photo. The summit would be above the two red cranes.

I continued along the Elliot Bay Trail

Looking back at Seattle
I crossed the Ballard Bridge, again in the center of the right lane, and not on the narrow sidewalk trying to dodge pedestrians. I was able to pedal 25+ mph all the way across even though the surface was metal grating.   With a 30 mph speed limit, and another lane to use, I wasn't a problem for the cars and none of the drivers gave any complaint.

I made my way through Ballard and Fremont, crossed the Fremont Bridge, and then rode The Kralik way back up Queen Anne.



No rain, light breeze, another great day to be #ridingeverydayinNovember


...........road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today...........15...............0..............0...............0.............15 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov.............584...............0..............0...............0............584 Total..........6120...............0..............0...............0...........6120

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.