Monday, November 3, 2014

Day 3 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

Yes, I rode my bike today.  But before I get into that I want to share this:
When I challenged friends to ride every day in November, set the hashtag #ridingeverydayinNovember, created a Facebook group , and a Facebook Page, I didn't expect to change anyone's life.  I just wanted to have some fun, have friends support each other in the endeavor, and "share the pain".

It was nice to find that folks from New Zealand to Ohio, Southern California to Seattle thought it was worth accepting the challenge.

Today a young gal living in central Western Oregon who hasn't biked in over a decade posted this to the group:

For someone who doesn't ride bikes, at all, I can be assured that I won't "remember" every day in November. But I'm encouraged by the challenge and would like to put forth effort to "try" and do more tomorrow than I did today, with an increase as I "try." Given that, yesterday morning I was very excited that I even remembered it was the first day of November for the #ridingeverydayinNovember! I was actually looking forward to finishing up my "work" so I could jump on the bike. However as my work took longer, then the Duck Football game began, with work in between Touchdowns, the entire concept totally slipped my thoughts. It was a normal day and I never again thought about the bike. So this morning, on my way out of the garage heading to church, I see the bike, comfortably resting by its hangers, up high and out of the way. "Ack ~ how could I have so easily forgotten something the previous day, which seemed so excited that I really wanted to do?" I'm adjusting to this (age) life phase of forgetfulness, but it continues to bother me at times. "Ok, just because I failed at day one, doesn't mean I give up already, right? Can I start "riding everyday in November" on day 2 and still be encouraged? Will I be able to finish on December 2 and still get my 30 days in? Yikes!!" I'm pretty sure that Kevin didn't mean to cause me this extra stress... :-D
Regroup My Thoughts ~ I "still" need to start. One day at a time... LOL So, I wrote down a Reminder Note ~ Yep, they can work "sometimes!" After lunch, I "got started" and realized I wasn't very prepared!! Of course I wasn't, why would I be... I don't even remember the last time I rode my bike. The ONLY reason I have a bike is because when I met my "now" Husband, he had two bikes. Therefore, by marriage, I inherited the one that wasn't his. ;-) I still, sixteen years later, refer to both of them as "his" bikes, but he often corrects me to point out his and mine. It was a bit tricky getting the bike down from the ceiling hanger, I'm not very tall and my arms aren't very strong. Plus, I didn't think to pull the vehicle OUT from the garage before this process. As my Husband comes through the garage, probably in curiosity of loud noises and clanking, he sees my position (and probably struggle) and quickly offers to help. My reply, "opening the garage door would be great!" After all, I want the gratification that "I" did it! Thankfully, he was in perfect alignment to reach his arm out and push the button for the automatic garage door opener. Today, this technology meant a lot to me and I AM grateful!
Once his bike was down, I wised up and asked for permission to take his bike for a spin, rather than repeat my struggle aiming for the "other" bike. To which he happily replied, "as long as it doesn't get stolen." Yea, there's a story behind that, but for now, just know I wasn't going to let that happen, after all, it's my day 1! I slowly jumped on and rode around the drive-way, as in acknowledgement that I CAN do this! Knowing that with Most Activities, the proper gear makes all the difference; I needed, at minimum, a helmet. I'm not sure I even have a helmet, I almost started to panic that I needed a trip to the store before my bike ride! I can't preach to my niece and nephew about using their helmet then carelessly take a spin without one. What kind of Rock-star Auntie does that? Not This One!! Back to the basics, if my Husband had two bikes, he's bound to have a helmet, or two! Sure enough, he tells me the location to successfully locate (and borrow) his helmet, but what is right beside it? Yep, a second helmet. I didn't even know which was the front or the back. The kids helmets at least give you a kindly little reference of "Front" that allows you to figure out the rest. Apparently a feature missing on adult helmets, darn it! Back to my Husband, who is now completely intrigued about why I want to go on a bicycle ride so badly, given my history of not, and all... I conceded once again to needing help, this helmet was a crazy fit either way. Laughing, we got it adjusted "enough" for a spin on the bike, or so he thought. It felt okay, with little movement upon shaking my head, so I was ready for the adventure ~ to Finally begin.
Whew!! Our dog was all excited that I was going somewhere, that she wanted to go too. Could I really watch her and concentrate all my attention on this adventure, after all, it's been ... a while? For her excitement for my excitement, I was willing to give it a try! And we were off... she loved it! She was jogging down the road, to the point I even had to peddle more to keep up with her. My new adventure was looking more promising with her enjoyment in it also, I would never have guessed! She loves walks, but preferred the faster pace. She's usually scared with noises, especially the new noises a bicycle produces. But she did Great! We only went around the block per say, but it was invigorating and fun! Once we were back home, she was off to the water dish and rest...so I snuck back out and headed for another spin, as the first one was just not enough to fulfill my excitement, I was just getting started. Now on my own, I quickly learned my pants weren't properly positioned to avoid the chain, etc. Again, proper gear is the key, and I'm way out of date. A quick few rolls to the pant leg and I'm off like the 10 year old me would have been ~ Enjoying It! The relaxing noise of the trees, the birds singing, sure things I can get in the back yard in a heartbeat. But, the wind on my face while hearing those noises ~ Priceless! I may not make it everyday, but I'm willing to try to make it happen when I can. It was easy to see how it takes a conscious effort to the thinking process when it's not part of the routine. But since I'm not perfect, I'm willing to try knowing I still fail, but get back up! DAY 1 OF DAY 2!


More than any other story posted so far, this gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. To think that this goofy challenge might be responsible for getting one more person on a bike is almost unbelievable.  Here's a shout out to Shannon and a big atta girl to her. I hope the end of the month finds her enjoying her bike even more.

Now back to today's ride.

I had a pair of battery operated flashing lights that my crew borrowed in the middle of the Nevada desert to keep our racer on the road. Today I finally got my ducks in a row to return them.

I rode from Queen Ann to North Seattle and returned them. It was raining in the morning but by noon had mostly stopped. I had heard rumors that high winds and heavy rain were predicted for later in the day. I figured I had better "git while the gitting was good" and pedaled out..........in full rain gear.

I did get one light shower about 6 miles into the ride as I was climbing up Roosevelt Ave in Seattle.

I dropped the lights off then turned back, hoping to be back before the wind and rain hit.

I made it, but as the sun was setting there was still no wind so I'm not sure I had to "beat" anything.

It was a good, if slightly damp ride.

It amounted to 18 miles total.

After it got dark my friend Julie and I rode to Menchies for a frozen yogurt treat. The trip added 2 miles, and a few smiles to the day.



..........road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total Today............20...............0..............0...............0.............20 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov..............49...............0..............0...............0.............49
Total..........5585...............0..............0...............0...........5585

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.