Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Day 4 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

Today was a travel day for me. I started off in Seattle with a ride down Queen Ann hill. As I neared the bottom of the hill I took a picture of the iconic Space Needle, a remnant of the 1962 World's Fair.


I took the center of the right lane on 2nd Ave, despite, or more precisely because, the presence of a "protected bike lane" on the right hand side of this three lane one direction street.  IMHO it was a big waste of money to build it, and it provides no protection from a problem that didn't exist.

I made it to the train station a bit early, where I would be boarding a Bolt Bus to Portland.


 It was a relaxing 3.25 hour trip to Portland.  The weather improved as we made our way south. By the time I got to Portland it was 8 degrees warmer than it was in Seattle, and the roads were dry.


It was such a nice day that I decided to ride home, rather than transfer to a TriMet bus. It was nearly 60 degrees as I pedaled along. With the recent time change, it was likely going to get dark before I got home but I had my lights along so it wouldn't be an issue.  I pedaled casually along, partly because I'm lazy ;-) and partly because I had a heavy load which affected handling and braking so I didn't want to get too exuberant.

When I got to Tualatin I detoured into the center of town.


I stopped for a quick bite to eat then continued on.  As I predicted, it got dark as I neared home.


It was election day, and I was carrying my completed ballot with me with plans to drop it by a ballot drop location.  Oregon has mail in balloting, but I was out of town when the ballots were mailed, and didn't get mine forwarded to me until it was too late to get it in the mail. (Oregon's ballots must be received by the elections division by the deadline, postmark is not sufficient)

I pedaled to the library, a ballot drop off location, where a smiling volunteer collected my ballot and cheered me for biking in.


Day 4 of #ridingeverydayinNovember complete, as was my civic duty.
Here's the route I pedaled from Portland to Wilsonville:


............road bike..........rollers.........mtb..........lifecycle.......total Today............25...............0..............0...............0.............25 Jan.............710...............0..............0...............0............710
Feb............ 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ..........701...............0..............0...............0............701
April...........749...............0..............0...............0............749
May.............613...............0..............0...............0............613
June............309...............0..............0...............0............309
July............615...............0..............0...............0............615
August..........359...............0..............0...............0............359
Sept............292...............0..............0...............0............292
Oct.............708...............0..............0...............0............708
Nov..............54...............0..............0...............0.............54
Total..........5590...............0..............0...............0...........5590

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.