Saturday, January 11, 2014

Trying to bike by the rules


It was going to be wild weather day in the Pacific Northwest. Winds to 60 mph, heavy rain, snow in the mountains, and even a chance of thunderstorms were in the forecast. Why would anyone want to be out biking in that?

My brother-in-law and I are teaming up and planning on riding a 200 mile hilly race in early May. I figured that I need to be out training. I've biked in stronger wind, and probably harder rain. It is after all just water. I knew I've earned Rule #5 and Rule #9 stripes before.

I took the rain bike and started out from Fred Meyer in Ballard (Seattle) and headed for Red Hook Brewery in Woodinville, and maybe even to Marymoor Park in Redmond.

The first couple miles weren't too bad. It wasn't raining and the wind had dried the path. That was about to change.
The sky darkened and the rain came down like fire hoses pouring on me. That soon changed to large hail. I was beginning to look for some place to take shelter when a bright flash of lighting followed almost immediately by a thunderous boom.

That was it. My resolve to adhere to Rule #5 weakened, and I suddenly could care less if I was held in Rule #9 awe by my friends. I turned around with only 7 miles pedaled.



..............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today..............14...........0................0............0.............14 Jan.................130..............0...............0.........0.............130
Total............130.............0...............0..........0..............130

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.