Sunday, January 5, 2014

A cool ride

I was invited to join a few folks today on a short ride from Marymoor Park. I was hoping for more miles, but alas, the company was good so off I went. There was a concern that Cascade Bicycle Club was also leading a ride from that location with 160 riders and parking might be very tight.

Well, it was 34 degrees in Seattle with bits of frost in the outlying areas. Cascade rides are notoriously cancelled if the weather is wet, windy, or cold. No surprise that we were notified that the Cascade ride was cancelled as we were driving across Lake Washington.

One of our party backed out at the start, citing ice as a concern. 5 of us took off under beautiful blue sky, if not a bit cool. I was dressed for the weather so keeping warm was not a concern.


Our little group rode 13 miles, then planned to stop a Starbucks. I'm not much of a coffee person, more a ride the bike person. I asked how long they planned on stopping and told them I was going to ride a bit more then be back in time to ride back with them. They said a half hour.

I continued pedaling along the shore of Lake Washington.


Though I really didn't expect my partners to only stay 30 minutes at Starbucks, I figured I'd better be back at the appointed time. I was riding a bit faster pace solo than I was with the group but got a delay of game penalty when I got about 1 mile from Starbucks. It seems a car got tangled up in an intersection and the wreckage caught fire. I could see the black smoke from a distance, but by the time I got there the fire department had it mostly out.


The police had closed the intersection because of the fire, but eventually let the bikes through. I made it back to Starbucks just a bit late. No problem though as the gang stayed there another 30 minutes after I arrived.

We eventually got back on the bikes. We pedaled back a bit faster than we pedaled out.

It was a good ride. There were just a few frosty patches in shady areas, no real problem.

The Garmin is still on the bike, so ride data will have to wait until tomorrow.

..............road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle........total
Today..............37...........0................0............0.............37 Jan..................71..............0...............0.........0..............71
Total.............71.............0...............0..........0...............71

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.