Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wearing out the bike

They just don't make hubs like they used to. Only 35,000 miles on this one.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE too smartphone

UPDATE:  
My rear hub on my rain bike (that is running the original wheels from my carbon bike) has been making some noise when I coast.  At first it was only when above 25 mph, it's gradually been getting worse, and recently has made racket anytime I coast, no matter the speed.  Today I brought a front wheel in to my trusted local bike shop to be trued, and had Mike look into the noise issue on the rear wheel.  I thought it might need lubrication.

Alas, there is a plastic bushing in there that is now in several pieces. That is the cause of the noise. Evidently the piece is not available by itself, but comes as part of a package that includes a host of other parts inside the hub.  The parts should arrive by the middle of next week.

Since it looks like more rain than dry in the next seven days I really wanted to keep the rain bike road worthy. My carbon bike is 10spd so it's Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Zipp 404 wheels are not compatible.  I thought I might have to put in the cross wheels and tires that came on the bike when it was new, then I remembered that I had the Bontragger Select Aero wheels from my Marin.  They are 9spd, the same as my rain bike.  The cassette on the rear wheel isn't nearly as desirable as my Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheel, but it will do for the miles I have planned for the next week.

So tonight I put in the Bontraggers, put in new brake shoes, and cleaned and lubed the chain.  I guess I'm ready to go get wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.