Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Rocky Butte Hill Hill Repeats Repeats

Once again it was time for Rocky Butte hill repeats.  It was going to be a glorious evening for riding.  I had time before the ride tonight so went for a ride around NE Portland.  It was nice not to be in a mad rush to get there.
The preride also meant I was warmed up and ready to go.

Jon D photo credit
Soon it was time to attack that hill.  We took a group photo and were off. 2 more folks showed up after we were riding.  I goofed around a bit, The first climb I turned around after about 100 yds just to make sure all our riders were starting off.  About the second summitting I rode three laps around the top, just for fun.  Pretty soon I realized that if I focused I could perhaps get 7 repeats in.  As #7 unfolded I was pushing hard to get to the top. I did manage to arrive at the summit loop just as time expired. I would not have time for 7 complete laps, but I would get 7 ascents.......plus some bonus laps and a little goofing around at the start.

As I started down the hill I was riding with Monica. I was just beginning to get my speed up, traveling a solid 30+ mph when a sound like a gun shot went off.  I figured a blow out, but since my bike was not shimmying I figured it must be Monica.   I was wrong, it was my front tire.  The Gatorskin is only about a month old, but my first trip on them (the Goldendale ride) had an unexpected 6 mile stretch of gravel.  The gravel had scuffed up the sidewalls and finally on this trip the sidewall gave out.

On most Rocky Butte rides I leave my flat fixing supplies at the bottom.  I figure less weight is good, and worse case scenerio means a 1.47 mile walk back.  Well, this was almost the worse case.  The weather was nice, so that was one plus, and I was about 200 ft down from the summit.

Monica said she'd ride to the bottom then drive back up and fetch me.  Before she could get that plan in motion however I came up with a plan.  I shifted all my weight back, keeping the saddle on my chest, taking all the weight off the front wheel that I could.  I rolled down the hill at about 8-10 mph.

I made it to the bottom without damaging the rim.

We all met at Wild Wings for a post ride debriefing.

It was a good night.

 ........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........39..............0..............0..........0............39
   Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
 April.........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010
 May............921..............0.............20..........0...........941  YTD........3264............142............20.........46.........3447

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.