Monday, May 14, 2012

Luvin' da long days

 I had high hopes of being on the bike by 4PM or shortly after tonight on my way to two laps of Portland's 40 mile loop.  Alas, I got off work very late and wasn't on the bike until shortly after 7PM. Though the sun was still up, and the temperature was 85, I knew it would be dark and cooler by the time I'd be finished with one lap, so I packed my bright light as well as arm and leg warmers. I'm just a pansy when it comes to getting cold!

I started off and by the time I got to the University of Portland the view from the bluff presented a perfect photo opportunity.

 I continued on, soon taking a right turn onto the Peninsula Crossing trail.  Before long I was along Marine Drive, my last segment of road, the rest of the route being bike paths.


The sun was beginning to get low in the sky, and the shadows were lengthening.

I was still along Marine Drive when the sun set over the Columbia River.

I was half way through the 40 mile route.  It was still warm, and I was pedaling hard, so I was warm enough. I turned south when I reached the Glenn Jackson Bridge and followed the I-205 path. I climbed to the highest part of the route as I skirted the shoulder of Rocky Butte. As I reached the top I stopped and put on my lights and warmers.  From here on it was going to be dark and I was beginning to feel cool air against my skin.

I continued south to the Springwater Corridor and followed that to the Willamette River then took the East Bank Esplanade northward to close the loop.

It was a great night to be on a bike, and daylight until nearly 9PM was sure nice!

.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........41..............0..............0..........0............41
  Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
 April.........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010
 May............585..............0.............20..........0...........605  YTD........2938............142............20.........46.........3121

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.