Saturday, May 12, 2012

Light

After last evening where I did not have my bright light along, today I played it safe and had it stowed in my pack. Didn't need it, the large bright gaseous orb in the sky provided more light than I could possibly use!
I knew I was going to ride somewhere, just didn't know where.  I followed facebook chatter among my bikey friends and finally decided on a commute to Portland where I would meet Art for a ride around Portland's 40 mile loop.  Art has been having some pinched nerve like issues and was looking for an easy ride to loosen things up a bit.  He asked what the pace would be, I responded "15 mph", and we were set.

I played with ridewithgps again to give me a bike friendly route to the Steel Bridge, our meeting point today. It was a fun ride taking bike paths and back alleys where it worked.


 The only issue was along Tom McCall Waterfront Park where there was some festival going on, and just shoulder to shoulder (and dog leash)  people that had other things on their minds than making room for two wheeled users of the multi-use path.  I had attached my bell to the bike today, expecting "the I-Podded masses" to be out in force on the paths today.  It got a workout!

I met Art at the Steel Bridge.
 We were soon off on today's adventure.  We pedaled out past University of Portland then took the Peninsula Crossing Trail. The Peninsula Crossing Trail is surprisingly rural in nature.  We pedaled along backwaters and sloughs, with wildlife watching our every move.


 We turned  onto the Marine Drive path. Mt Hood was looking glorious today.

It seemed that everyone was out on their bikes today.  We saw several friends today while making our loop. Many of them were Rocky Butte Hill Repeat ride alums.

We finished up our loop today with a 15.7 mph on bike average, not too far off my prediction to Art of 15.

We said our goodbyes then I pedaled back southward.  Part of my route was on Corbett Avenue, the view from that street is pretty nice.
It was a warm day, in the upper 80's.  I didn't need that light today!

.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........85..............0..............0..........0............85
  Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
 April.........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010
 May............423..............0.............20..........0...........443  YTD........2776............142............20.........46.........2959

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.