Thursday, March 27, 2008

Just doin' my part

I have some reservations on the effects that the new green bike boxes popping up in Portland will have. Specifically, I think many will believe that unless there is a green box a cyclist can not legally be in that position. Many riders, me included, believe that the safest way to ride in the city is to be visible in the lane, not invisible along the right side door zone/truck blind spot/hidden by parked cars bike lanes. I ride the bike lane when I feel it's safe to do so but am not hesitant to ride the center of the traffic lane when I feel it's appropriate for safety. Oregon Revised Statute 814.430(2)(c) allows for that.

That being said, green bike boxes are being installed and if they are there we all need to know the proper way to use them.



It's been cold and windy with some rain the last few days. We even had snow flakes this morning! However I couldn't justify being a bike pansy any longer. Late morning the weather brightened up a bit and the roads got a good blow dry. I road from Wilsonville and made my way to Champoeg Park where I road a loop to the south.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, cool, but not miserable.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........34................0
Jan total.......98.....+........402....=..........500
Feb total.....385.....+.......220....=..........605
YTD...........1044.....+........663....=........1707

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.