Sunday, April 4, 2010

Aye Cap'n but if I push it any harder the dilithium crystals will overheat and blow!

6 of us were planning to ride a ~70 mile loop taking in the Wheatland Ferry and Canby Ferry. The recent rains had made the Willamette River high and muddy. The lead in roads for the Wheatland Ferry are quite low and were under water so the Wheatland Ferry was closed. I verified this just 90 minutes before planned shove off so I scurried to map a new route.

As we met to pedal Mark had a problem. Seems a front wheel had been damaged to the point of being unridable. Luckily I was close enough to my spare wheel that I was able to drive back and snag it for him. Between my later than normal arrival and getting a spare wheel, we got off to a bit of a late start. We rode from Wilsonville out towards Newberg. Along the way another of our social club members called and wondered where we were. Seems she was at a location about 15 miles from where we started and was there about an hour later than we had planned to ride. We made arrangements to meet her near Newberg.

As we got to Newberg one of our group had a flat and damaged the tire pretty badly. I normally carry a spare tire but didn't have it with me today. The group pooled resources and got the bike back in shape to ride. Here we were just getting ready to get moving again.

We moved along at a pretty good rate, seeing 20+ more often than not. A slightly trailing wind helped in that department.

When we got to St Paul another of our group had a flat. We got that fixed and joked that we weren't making very good time today will all the "delay of game penalties".

By the time we got to Canby the sky was getting more gray. A couple of our riders were getting tight on time. A consensus was to shorten the ride up a bit.
Instead of riding all the way to Beavercreek we cut across at Central Point Rd and headed toward Central Point the New Era. The ride northward on Central Point Rd was a thrill. The wind had swung around from the south and was now a brisk tail wind. Doak and I were out in front and holding a 23-26 mph pace all along this stretch.

When we got back to the Canby Ferry we were amazed at just how high the Willamette River was.


Just after crossing the ferry the rain began to fall. It was raining reasonably hard and we were glad that we had decided to cut a few miles off the route today. Riding the last 5 miles in cold rain was bad enough, the last 15 miles would have been worse!

As the day progressed our little group spread out a bit. We'd regroup at corners but it was getting harder for some to keep up as we got into a bit more hilly country. No problem, this was billed as a training ride so we wanted to make sure all got a workout! ;-)

I've been complaining a bit this year about not being able to get enough oxygen into my system as I rode. I never run out of "leg" I run out of "air". Today I wore a heart rate monitor for the first time. My resting heart rate is in the low 40's. I would have guessed my "brisk riding" heart rate to be ~120-130bpm. I was amazed to look at the display today and see my heart rate in the high 140's quite often. At the end of the ride today I had an average heart rate of 126 and a maximum of 178. My maximum is supposed to top out at 165. I'm still here typing so I guess I didn't burn out. ;-)

Here's the route we ended up riding today:




............BIKE............LIFECYCLE.....ROLLERS....TOTAL
Today.......68................0.............0..........68
Jan........618...............0..............0.........618
Feb........692...............0..............0.........692
March......940...............0..............5.........940
April.......99...............0..............0..........99
_________________________________________
TOTAL.....2363...............0..............5.........2368

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.