Saturday, March 2, 2013

Feeling Lucky

A member of a bikey Facebook group I manage posted a ride today.  Actually, he cross posted a ride today.  I decided to join in since it started only a few miles from me.

There was a 70% chance of rain today, rising to 90% by evening.  The ride began at 11AM.  I rode the rain bike and brought rain gear.  As it ended up none of that was needed.  We had dry roads, and not a drop of rain for the entire ride.

I started off by riding from Wilsonville over the Boone Bridge.  Art began the ride on the other side of the river so riders wouldn't have to ride the shoulder of I-5 across the bridge.  I'd rather bike I-5 for a short distance rather than drive 3 miles to the ride.

As the riders arrived I noted that with the exception of one, I knew all of them from when I rode with NW BOB. (Northwest Butts on Bikes). There were 10 of us in all.   We pedaled off in a generally southward direction. There was a slight headwind, we rode a moderate 15-16 mph most of the time.

After about 25 miles we turned back northward and enjoyed a bit of tailwind, which brought the pace up to 16-18 most of the time, with occasional bursts to 20 mph.

A pretty uneventful ride, and that was a good thing considering it was predicted to be raining.

As we neared the end there was a discussion of post ride food and drink.  With about 150 yds to go, I peeled off from the group as they rode to their cars.  I dropped onto I-5 and made my way back across the river.  I arrived at Wanker's Corner quite a bit sooner than the others.  I was well into my bowl of peanuts before they walked through the door.

Three of our peloton had other commitments, bu t seven of us took the opportunity for a little post ride debriefing.




  By the time I got home my Garmin showed 58.49 miles.  Not that 60 miles is such a milestone, but it is a nice round number. I took a few laps of the neighborhood.  :-)

  Why did I feel lucky you ask?  After all  day riding without rain, within 15 minutes of finishing today's ride there was an absolute downpour.  I was sitting warm and dry on the inside watching it through the windows!

................road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today.............60..............0.............0..........0..............60 Jan..................93..............0..............0.........0.............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411
March..............60..............0..............0.........0..............60
Total..............564.............0..............0.........0.............564

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.