Saturday, March 16, 2013

Skoolin"

I volunteered to be a ride ref for Cascade Bicycle Club this year, and had to go through the standard training. Today was a classroom session on group riding skills and other training that ride refs should be familiar with. At least that's what the email said. I pedaled over to the Cascade Bicycle Club headquarters and over to a small community building known as The Brig. An earlier session was just getting finished up as I arrived. Before long folks started taking their seats and I joined them. As it turned out, this was a training session for those who don't yet know how to fix a flat tire. I probably have that pretty well down, but sat quietly through the presentation. When the group began their hands on practice, one of the Cascade staff members came over with a puzzled look. It seems that the plans had changed since I got my marching orders..........and nobody told me. Apologies ensued, but it was really no big deal. I still got a nice bike ride in. While there I helped folks who needed help remembering the steps in changing a flat. As I got ready to leave a woman asked the way to the Burke-Gilman Trail, and I just happened to be going that way, so she took me up on my offer to lead the way. As it ended up, she was from Everett and had always heard about the B-G, but had never ridden it. She was just going on an out and back sight seeing tour. I bid her happy pedaling and continued on my way. I was pushing against a brisk headwind and finished up with a semi-spirited climb back up Queen Anne hill. It would have been nice to pedal a bit more, but alas, company for dinner tonight, so I figured I should probably help with the preparations. More riding on tap for tomorrow.

 ................road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today.............19...............0.............0..........0..............19 Jan..................93..............0..............0.........0..............93 Feb................411..............0..............0.........0............411 March.............230..............0.............0.........0............230 Total..............737.............0...............0.........0............737

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.