Sunday, April 22, 2012

A lion hunt

Today was the De Ronde Van Oeste Portlandia, an unofficial ride among about 700 close friends up and down the West Hills of Portland.  We are sent on our merry way and told to let the Lion of Flanders show us the way. So today I went looking for lions.
Photo thanks to www.scorpius-cycles.com,  I had my camera with me, but alas, my SD (secure digital) card was securely in my card reader slot and not in the camera, so I didn't take any photos today.


There is just under 48 miles on this route, with 7072 ft of climbing.  Two climbs of note are Brynwood St, which reaches 32% (NOT a typo!) and College Street which reaches 29%.  I was riding with Jon, a facebook friend who came on a package deal when I rode the Tour de Cure last year with Esther.  I gained a lot of FB friends from the TdC ride and Jon was one of them.  I'm thinking that this may be the last TdC friend to ride with me.  When I rode TdC Esther clipped my rear wheel and went down hard.  Today, Jon tangled with another rider and went down hard on Brynwood, only the second climb of the day.  It took him out of today's ride.  That's 0 for 2 with TdC friends.  I guess it's ride at your own risk when you roll with the Desert Coyote! :-O

I pedaled along at my own pace. I knew I could not be first, but I did know that I would pedal (not walk) EVERY INCH of that course.

Here I am early in the ride climbing up Erickson. (photo thanks to Jon Durdick)

Photo thanks to www.scorpius-cycles.com

It was a warm day, when I finished up the ride the temperature was 85.  I went through 5 bottles of water in the 48 miles. Luckily the neighbors were very friendly and there were many opportunities to refill water today.  My 2008 Race Across Oregon partner lives along the route and today he and some neighbors set up an awesome rest stop with sandwiches, fruit, water, and sports drinks. There was even free Widmer beer at mile 33.  Too bad we were riding bike!

I continue to struggle to get back in riding shape after a winter of low miles.  Today my legs started failing to respond with about 15 miles to go.  It wasn't pretty, but it did get done.  The one saving grace, I wasn't passed by many in those last 15 miles. Everybody was struggling with the hills and heat.  That's okay for them, not for me. I've got plans in July that require more of me.
When I reached the end of the ride at Council Crest I visited a bit with the assembled riders.  I was surprised to hear that many there had short cutted the course, saving a few miles and more than a few vertical feet. It made me feel a bit better about my struggles today.  I rode the 5 miles back down to the start where my pickup was waiting for me.  Even though it was mostly down hill, I picked up another 215 ft of climbing on the commute back.

 .........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........53..............0.............0..........0...........53
 Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
 April..........758..............0.............0..........0..........758 YTD........2011............142.............0.........46.........2198

2 comments:

  1. No worries Kevin, group riding comes with the occasional collision. I will heal and will be hunting lions again. Was glad hold off my increasing knee discomfort to finish the ride up College Street. As my schedule allows I will never hesitate riding with you for sure. Great job today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rode up Counsel Crest and enjoyed talking with a few of the riders. Found a new route up through the tennis court area. Went and visited a friend. Felt pretty good vs the pain i felt in the evening just lying on my couch. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.