Tuesday, April 10, 2012

a few good miles

I joined a few of my social bike club friends for a 28 mile ride from Helvetia over the West Hills to the Columbia River and then back over to Helvetia. For added fun I commuted to the ride. I started off with shorts and a short sleeved jersey, but carried arm and leg warmers along. It was plenty warm on the 30 mile commute to the ride.

I arrived a bit early and put my warmers on, as well as my windbreaker before we pedaled off because I was getting chilled. My coolness lasted for only a few miles as we began to climb Rock Creek Rd to Skyline Blvd. About the time we hit Skyline it began to rain. Everybody was thinking it, but nobody dared utter that we might be able to turn around and get out of the rain sooner.

We made a slippery road descent on McNamee Rd to Hwy 30, then a rain soaked slog along Hwy 30 to steep but short climb up Newberry Rd to Skyline again. As we pedaled along Skyline the sun set, and a beautiful sunset it was.



We arrived back at Helvetia and finished our ride with burgers, brew, and smiles at Helvetia Tavern.

I took brother-in-law Dave up on his offer to load my bike and haul me back. So, I ended up with 58 miles, a few hills, and lots of fun.

.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........58..............0.............0..........0...........58
Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536
March.......809..............0.............0.........22..........831
April.......325..............0.............0..........0..........325
YTD........1567............142.............0.........46.........1755

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.