Saturday, February 4, 2012

Woo Hoo!

I got back on the bike today. After a nearly 1200 mile December, followed by a 105 mile January I was wondering if I was ever going to get back on that bike!

Today was a beautiful day, blue sky, a high of 60 degrees. I pedaled 30 miles to my mother's house and pruned her grapes then pedaled back. I could feel that I hadn't biked much in the last month, but it was a good ride. It felt good to be back on the bike.


I got home from that ride and loaded the bike up and headed into Portland where I was to meet 5 others for another rendition of our now famous "waffle ride". As I drove in I was notified of 3 of our group deciding not to ride tonight. Their loss. It was a great evening for a ride. Warmer than we expected and the east county winds were not a factor on the inner east side.

We headed straight for the waffles because they close at 9pm this time of year. Our little group prefers the waffle stop at the end of our ride, but you gotta take waffles when waffles are available!

From there we rode to Widmer Brothers Brewing. Widmer has been on our list on most of our previous waffle rides, but it's always been on the end of our route and by 2AM we were ready for waffles so dropped Widmer. This time we started there! ;-)

We started our ride tonight a bit later than normal to accommodate a participant who was out of town to attend a funeral and would have had trouble getting back in time. Since she was the founder of this craziness we figured we could start a bit later to allow her to join us.

Our third participant had to take leave after Widmer so that he could be home by 11PM. Since we left Widmer at 10:45 I doubt he made it, but he at least wasn't sitting in a bar when the call came!

Chris and I decided it was just too nice of an evening to call it quits. We pedaled a loop of the Portland Waterfront. It was a beautiful day followed by a beautiful night. We made a few stops for photos.


When you don't bring a tripod you make do with concrete curbs!



We finished up and put the bikes back in our vehicles. Within minutes it was midnight, and Chris became the first person to wish me happy birthday on my birthday!

Tomorrow I had 26 people joining me for a 57 mile birthday ride, but tonight 6 of them found other things to do. (who would pass up a bike ride to watch football?)

It's going to be very nice weather again tomorrow. If I have to get another year older it least it's a nice day to do so!

Barring bad luck, by the end of tomorrow I'll have more miles by the 5th day of the month than I logged all last month. (of course that's not saying much!)


........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today........75..............0.............0..........0...........75
Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139
Feb..........75..............0.............0..........0...........75
YTD.........180.............34.............0..........0..........214

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.