Friday, August 21, 2009

Into the mouth of the beast

Well, technically it was into the caldera of an old volcano, and the ride wasn't all that bad. Today was my "easy" day, with a plan of about 85 miles, and after yesterday's hot, dry, and windy ride this was to be cooler, plenty of water, and less wind. The morning started out cooler and I had my arm warmers on for the first time this trip. I made my way on side streets until jumping on Hwy 97 was inevitable. Hwy 97 has good wide shoulders but plenty of traffic.



When I got to Lava Butte my GPS told me to turn to the right then make an immediate left. I was following the route I had mapped for my Century Drive ride the first day here. I had varied from my route that day because of construction and thought this would be a good chance to scope out that road.

Well.......the road to the left was what I was supposed to follow!
They need to put a check box on those mapping programs so I can choose "paved roads only"!!!!

Since today was a short day I decided I had time and energy to follow the paved road to Benham Falls.

I hadn't been there in years.

I thought I remembered being able to see the falls from the road, but I was wrong.
There were plenty of people coming and going, and in the interest of making sure my bike wasn't going anywhere I decided I could skip getting a close up and personal look this time.


After watching the river flow for a bit (thinking of my previous life as a whitewater enthusiast) I rode on to Cottonwood Rd and into Sunriver for a snack. As I made my way into Sunriver I came across the other end of the "road" I was supposed to be on!


Before long I was back at the IGA store getting some refreshments and noticed that there were more bikes there than cars! :-)


This resort community is famous for it's partying... er, I mean wildlife!


I continued southward on Huntington Road towards La Pine. Just a few miles from La Pine I turned east, and within a very short distance started climbing. I was rewarded for the work by some pretty decent views.


It was a long relentless climb up the slopes of this old volcano but I eventually reached Paulina Lake.


And unlike the little stores of yesterday, the Paulina Lake store was OPEN!


I continued around the inner edge of the cauldera to East Lake. East Lake is at a slightly higher elevation than Paulina Lake and marked my highest elevation today, nearly 6400 ft.

I turned around and took advantage of the long descent to really fly! I continued a fast pace once back on Hwy 97 by taking advantage of the gentle down slope and a tailwind.
I braked at the High Desert Museum and turned in.

The staff there was nice enough to let me bring my bike inside where they watched it while I went to the cafe!

A 1/3 lb Angus burger and lemonade! I figured with less than 10 miles to go, and a tailwind I could splurge on real food!

With all my side trips today I ended up with not such a short ride after all! Today's ride just made the century mark, my third day in a row. I also logged 7766 ft of climbing, the highest daily total this week.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........100...............0................100
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total....865.....+.........0........=.......865
Year to date...6455.....+.........30.......=......6485
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.