Monday, August 3, 2009

Willamette crossings, 2 ferries, 2 bridges



I took off just before noon today with no particular plan other than to ride my bike a bit. I started off from Wilsonville and rode Wilsonville Rd towards Newberg. Once I hit Hwy 219 in the suburbs of Newberg I turned south and made my first crossing of the Willamette River for the day via a bridge. It was a lot nicer crossing today than the wet, spray filled, debris ridden, pedal fest that it often is in winter months. I took the next right and rode "the back way" into St Paul. After a brief stint on River Rd I took a right onto Matheny Rd and crossed the Wheatland Ferry with 40 miles showing on my odometer.



After exiting the ferry I rode a few miles to Maud Williamson St Park where I used the water in the picnic shelter to refill my water bottles.....a couple of times!

I then pedaled on southward to West Salem where I stopped for lunch and a nice cold chocolate milkshake! I crossed the Willamette River again via the Marion Street Bridge then worked my way over to Hwy 99E and used the slight tailwind to bring the speed up to 21-25 all the way to Canby.

When I got to Canby a Dairy Queen caught my eye.... I stopped for a lemon-lime Arctic Rush.
It tasted remarkably like a Margarita (except no tequila!....make note for next time!)

I turned on Ivy and crossed the Canby ferry with 86 miles showing on the odometer.

I was tantalizingly close to logging a century, but it was hot again, (10 consecutive days of 90 degrees or higher in Portland, a new record!) and I'm basically a lazy rider. Like do I think I'll get some award for riding X number of centuries at the end of the year or something? (actually there is a bit of pride at stake if I'd get more centuries than Cecil at year's end, but today I could care less!)


And so I stopped today with 91 miles. :-O

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............91...............0.................91
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total....171.....+.........0........=.......171
Year to date...5761.....+.........30.......=......5791
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.