Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chocolate Milk Century

I rode from Bend today and headed up to Mt Bachelor then continued on around planning to ride the Century Drive loop. However after I got to South Century Drive I found it was under construction and had a 9-10 mile stretch of ugly gravel. I back tracked a bit and took a detour to LaPine then headed back towards Bend. It added just over 10 miles to my route.

Why the Chocolate Milk Century? Well, I managed to stop at 4 different markets during the ride and had a chocolate milk at each! I also had a lemonade at 3, the Sunriver store didn't have lemonade!

It was a great ride, long sustained climb, heat, high elevation. All the things a person training for the Furnace Creek 508 looks for!



Started off early in the ride with a stop at The Inn at the Seventh Mountain's little store for some goodies. Breakfast was many hours ago! (my first serving of chocolate milk, and a lemonade)

The road tips upward ever so slightly and begins the climb.

The South Sister comes into view. (10,358 ft, Oregon's 3rd hightest)

As you ride over the north shoulder of Mt Bachelor you see South, Middle, and North Sister as well as Broken Top. Elevation ~6300ft

A little closer look at South and Middle Sister.

Broken Top, not looking so broken from this angle!

Mt Bachelor as seen from over Sparks Lake.

Devils Lake, the starting point for many who climb South Sister. Just about a mile high!

Elk Lake

Elk Lake Lodge, a good spot to stop for a break and my second chocolate milk, and another lemonade.

After making the turn southward at Elk Lake the road travels along at near 4500 ft elevation for many miles.

A meadow near Wikiup Reservoir.

A turn on South Century Drive starts the descent through a Ponderosa Pine forest.

Crossing the Deschutes River

Oops...not only "under construction" but the end of the road today! I flagged down an oncoming motorist and they informed me that the route was gravel for the next 9-10 miles! I backtracked to the turnoff to La Pine and followed that road down. It would only add about 10 miles to the ride today.


The detour I took brought me right past a small store on the edge of La Pine where I availed myself of my third chocolate milk of the day, and a lemonade.


One last stop to get my 4th chocolate milk in Sun River. I didn't see any lemonade so a regular water would have to be enough to get me back to Bend.

107 miles,
6103 ft of climbing
15.4 mph average

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today...........107...............0................107
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total....664.....+.........0........=.......664
Year to date...6254.....+.........30.......=......6284
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.