Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Following the plan............sort of

I am at the coast today to ride a modified version of the Three Capes Scenic Loop. It's in the Tillamook/Pacific City area. Jimmy Buffet sang, "the weather is here, I wish you were beautiful". And of course a cover band does their best.



Well, the weather is beautiful, I wish you were here!

Not exactly the week I had planned but the miles will be good.
An update after the ride today.

UPDATE: 76 miles today. Beautiful weather, very scenic, and a great ride. Details and photos when I get to my computer. (posted from my phone)

UPDATE 2: I'm a bit rushed since I'm preparing to get to Central Oregon to ride some hills at high elevation with heat tomorrow! (I know, I know) The coast was great today. Blue sky, light to moderate wind, in the upper 70's to 80. There was a bit of fog from time to time just off shore, but mostly clear as far as the eye could see.

I took quite a few photos and will get them posted in the next few days, maybe from Bend, otherwise when I get back from Puget Sound this weekend.


The ride started through dairy country along the south side of Tillamook Bay


Before long I had reached the top of the first of the three capes of the day.

And the view was pretty nice too.

I continued my way southward along the coast.



After a bit of climbing I reached the top of the second cape.

Neatarts Bay and spit from Cape Lookout.

Nestucca River

Haystack Rock near Pacific City comes into view.

Cape Kiwanda, the last cape of the day.


Haystack Rock from Pacific City

The Pelican Brew Pub, a good lunch stop today!

From Pacific City I turned back inland and headed north. Back in "cow country".

A bridge out with no "walk around" option forced me to turn around on South Prairie Rd and find an alternate route.

Before long my Garmin told me I was back on course.

After a few more cows along the Trask River I hopped onto the Wilson River Loop Rd and before lone finished up today's ride.

The ROUTE today


ride, Ride, RIDE!

The Furnace Creek 508 is coming whether I'm ready or not!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
...............Road Bike.....LifeCycle.....Total Miles
Today............76...............0.................76
Jan total.......501.....+.........30.......=.......531
Feb total.......614.....+.........0........=.......614
March total.....860.....+.........0........=.......860
April total.....790.....+.........0........=.......790
May total.......901.....+.........0........=.......901
June total......543.....+.........0........=.......543
July total.....1322.....+.........0........=......1322
August total....557.....+.........0........=.......557
Year to date...6147.....+.........30.......=......6177
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1 comment:

  1. My buddy from San Jose who joined me in CO for the CRMBT has done the FC508, Death Ride, Solvang Double Century, and other crazy stuff. I've got to get to CA to see what that kind of riding is like. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.