Monday, May 11, 2009

Tax refund? Obama's economic stimulus?

or just "want" a new bike?



Probably a bit of all those things. With the Furnace Creek 508 in October looming on my radar a bit more than the recent big ticket damage/loss, and then coupled with a couple of compounding discounts, I decided today was the day to get abetter bike. My Marin Argenta has served me well. I've put over 20,000 miles on it in the three years I've owned it. But with the long climbs of Furnace Creek I'm thinking a carbon framed bike would be a lot easier to pedal than my steel framed Marin.

The new bike has triple chainrings which is a plus IMHO for the type of riding I do. My Marin also had a triple crank which sported 56x42x30 rings after my little customization. (swapped out 53 for a 56). I will ride the new 52x39x30 a bit but suspect I'll be changing out the two larger rings. My Marin has an 11-27 nine speed, the new bike has a 12-25 10 spd. Easily modified as well. A couple of hundred miles will tell me if I miss the broad spectrum of my current setup.

Any way, no miles today, but a few smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.