Thursday, November 26, 2015

Day 26 of #ridingeverydayinNovember

Today is Thanksgiving, and the 26th day of the #ridingeverydayinNovember cycling challenge.

I spent 6 hours this morning serving meals to the less fortunate at a local food bank. It certainly opens one's eyes on what we all have to be thankful for.

In addition I am thankful for the good health to enjoy a 30 day cycling challenge in traditionally one of the most wet and stormy months.

Between the morning volunteer duty and the Thanksgiving celebration beginning mid afternoon, I had about an hour to go for a bike ride.

I took the fixed gear bike and went for a little exploration on the west side of Queen Anne.  I was winding my way down when I came to a sharp switchback.  Ahead lay a long steep stairway. to the right was a road curving more gently downward.


Not bad for a stairway, but not so bike friendly.

This looks reasonable enough!
I turned right and started around the corner.  The road dropped away precipitously. It ranged from 22-26%.  I was glad I had brakes on the fixie.  Despite that it was going to scuff the paint up on my wheels, I used them!  

Luckily, the steep descent ended in about 2 city blocks.  Once on the bottom, I started working my way back up.  I did have one 2 block stretch of 12% but most of the climb was in the 6-9% range.


I managed to get nearly 400 ft of climbing in just under 4 miles.


Happy Thanksgiving!

.........Road Bike.....Rollers.....MTB.....Lifecycle..Total
Today .......4...............0...............0.............0...............4
Jan.........765..............0...............0.............0............765
Feb........248..............0...............0.............0............248
March....183..............0...............0.............0.............183
April......228...............0..............0..............0.............228
May.......200...............0..............0..............0.............200
June........199..............0..............26............0.............225
July.........246.............0...............0..............0.............246
Aug.........502.............0...............0..............0.............502
Sept.........974.............0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,44.............0............1018
Oct.......... 962.............0..............45.............0............1007
Nov..........426..............0................3.............0.............429
_________________________________________
total.......4920.............0.............118............0...........5038

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.