Tuesday, March 11, 2014

A Beautiful Day to Boring


It was a beautiful day. I dilly dallied around in the morning, but finally got on the bike mid afternoon. I drove to Sellwood Riverfront Park and unloaded the bike. One had to look really hard to find any clouds at all.


I was on my fixed gear bike again. I've got to get in some miles on it so that I have at least a chance of doing a one day STP on it.

I wasn't sure exactly where I was going to pedal to, but started out on the Springwater Corridor.

When I got to Cartlandia there were a couple of Voodoo Donuts calling my name.




Seattle likes to talk about the views from the Burke-Gilman Trail, but IMHO they have to go a way to beat this.


I continued to pedal until I got bored, or more precisely, until I got to Boring. While the Springwater Trail runs generally east from Sellwood to Boring, it wiggles around a bit.  At the end point turn around the north wind was at my back as I rode up.


I turned around and pedaled back toward Portland, against the wind and uphill..........at least for the first half mile or so, then it was downhill and the route gradually changed direction enough that the wind wasn't a bother.

I got to Gresham to find a police car blocking the path, and fire trucks and ambulance blocking the nearby road.  It seems that one of those little mobility scooters that some folks use had gone off the path an into Johnson Creek.  Johnson Creek was running chocolate colored and fast.  The police and fire personal were setting up a "z-drag" to pull the little scooter out of the water.




After watching for a bit I pedaled off.  It seems nobody was hurt.  I'm guessing that maybe the operator just got too close to the edge to watch the water, and got a closer look than they planned on.

I was pedaling along about 17 mph, a pretty good pace for the heavy fixie with it's high rolling resistance tires.  I caught up to a young guy wearing a Cross Crusade jersey.  We rode together for a few miles, visiting about bikes, wheels, fixed gear, and STP.  Good stuff!

After a few miles he exited the Springwater Corridor and headed toward home.  I continued on to Sellwood.



I was a nice day, temperature was in the upper 50's and the sun was shining!


............road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today..........39................0..............0...............0.............39 Jan.............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........172.............0..............0...............0............172
Total..........1460...............0..............0...............0.........1460

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.