Thursday, March 13, 2014

Just in time

 I drove up to Seattle this afternoon in anticipation of this weekend's McClinchy Mile ride. I arrived with 30 minutes to unload gear, change into bike clothes, hop on the bike and ride down to Gasworks Park to join a group of folks on a ride to Alki Beach.  We left Gasworks at 6:15 PM.  We picked up a couple of riders at various points as we pedaled toward Alki Beach.  By the time we got to Jack Block Park we were 9 strong. It was a nice evening and there were others out for bike rides too.  We passed by friend Eric S who was riding the other direction.  We exchanged shout outs.  We were all invited to Bob D's place in Alki where he had turkey sandwiches all made up, and several varieties of beer.  I graciously accepted a sandwich, I passed on the beer.

  As it ended up, Martha, one of the last riders to join our group had biked the San Diego Christmas Bike Ride this year. She crashed on the last day of that ride, very near the end, and had been off the bike since then.  Today was her second time on the bike since December.  It was nice to hear about that ride, as I've done it for the last 5 years, but did not do it with the group this year.

Before we left Bob's I put my headlight on.  I would have had it on a bit earlier, but it was buried in my pack, and I was in a group of bikes with headlights.  I did have my rear blinkie on the entire ride.

As we passed under the ramps of the West Seattle Bridge we came across a large group of folks on bikes. It turned out to be an outing of the fun loving .83 bike group. They were about 45 of them!  As we passed, they pointed out that we should join them, and that we were going the wrong way to find fun.  They were probably right!

When we got back along the piers in Seattle I was a bit ahead of the group. I stopped to take this photo.
I was a nice night, despite the forecast for rain by dark.  I was riding in a thin long sleeved top with a windbreaker.  Long pants, but not my windproof ones.  I was very comfortable.


The rest of the gang was going to take a pitstop at the Nickerson Street Saloon  but I turned up Queen Ann instead.

What a nice night to be on the bike.


............road bike..........rollers........mtb.........lifecycle....total
Today..........32................0..............0...............0.............32 Jan.............710................0..............0...............0...........710
Feb........... 578...............0..............0...............0............578
March ...........209.............0..............0...............0............209 Total..........1497...............0..............0...............0.........1497

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.