Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A change of pace

I joined a few members of my social bike club for a post work ride tonight.  We started out at 6:30 PM and rode a spirited 38 miles.  I showed a 17.2 mph rolling average, but often just rode around in circles as we regrouped thus slowing the on bike average.  Most of the time we were in the 19-20 mph range, and often testosterone poisoning would kick in and we'd pedal into the upper 20's and even at one point Max and I were in the low 30's.  Even Diana was not immune to this condition, usually reserved for the male of our species.  She said we were all riding like girls. In today's case I took that as a compliment!



Following the ride most of us settled in at Pizzacato for pizza and beverages.  We, of course, talked bike. A couple of them were not real familiar with RAAM, and just didn't think it was possible to pedal across America in less than 12 days.  I assured them that not only was it possible, but had just happened. They are still not sure they believe it.  That's the case with a lot of us.

It was a good night to ride, warm, dry, sunny.  A good change from recent days.  It was nice company too, a faster pace than I would have ridden if I were solo, and that's a good thing.

I ended  up with an average heart rate of 128, that's more like training than what I've been doing lately. Thanks to my friends for pushing me a bit.


 ........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total Today........38..............0..............0..........0............38
 Jan.........105.............34.............0..........0..........139 Feb.........428............108.............0.........24..........536 March.......809..............0.............0.........22............831 April.........1010..............0.............0..........0.........1010 May..........1000..............0.............20..........0.......1020 June..........1353...............0...............0............0.....1353 YTD........4696............142............20.........46.........4879

2 comments:

  1. avg hr 128 on a "testosterone fest" ride? Well, your heart is doing a better job than mine. I was avg. 147 today for my hilly 70 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see spikes into the mid 170's at times but don't think I could average 147 for any appreciable distance. What makes me think I can do solo Race Across Oregon in 3 weeks is beyond normal reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.