Saturday, June 4, 2011

What was that warm bright thing in the sky?

Today I rode the Portland Wheelman's Pioneer Century. I took a cue from my Randonneur friends and rode to the ride. I started off with a STP Tyvek jacket on at 6:15am on my ride to breakfast....confession here, my favorite pre-ride breakfast is a McDonalds Deluxe Breakfast with hotcakes and a large OJ. By 7AM when I was joined by two riding buddies I took the jacket off and stowed it in my backpack. We made our way across the Canby Ferry and arrived at the start pretty quickly, it was only 9 miles away.

We picked up our registrations and began on the 55 mile loop.

I took my arm warmers off at a stop as we waited for traffic.

We were routed onto a bike path that followed a former logging railroad or maybe an old logging road. Ken had made his way through traffic and dropped Dave and I. Dave and I were moving a respectable speed when we caught up with a half dozen tandems riding together. Much like looking at a mass of storm clouds wondering if they will coalesce into a hurricane we slowed down a bit and waited for this train to get going.


A pair of them eventually decided that the pace as a bit fast for them and dropped off. The others formed a double pace line and Dave and I took up the rear enjoying the draft for many miles.

We climbed a long hill to the first rest/food stop. I took my leg warmers off there. Some comment was made about being blinded by the white! I don't think I've ridden without my legs covered since Furnace Creek last October.


It got to be warm day, something we have not yet become accustomed to this year. It was in the mid to upper 80's in the area depending on the reporting station today. My fluid intake hinted at the temperature, as did the lines of dried salt across the face.

We finished the 55 mile loop about noon, and were required to take lunch at this time if we wanted it. Chris King Components was sponsoring fresh made fajitas. Mmm mmm good, however I, and many others, don't deal well with a large meal in the middle of a ride. I had one fajita, and worse, two cans of orange pop. The fizzy and COLD was soooo good.

We got back on the road to begin our 45 mile loop to complete our century. I paid for that fizzy pop for the next hour. I eventually worked through that and got back up to speed.

I pulled into a rest/food stop in St Paul to find fellow social bike club member Jenn feeling a bit sorry for herself.



It seems that she broke a shift cable and a part of it had fallen inside the mechanism causing it to not be easily repairable. The onsite mechanic from Bike Gallery was doing his best though. He eventually lent her a shifter and replaced the cable to get her back on the road.


From St Paul we rode just a bit farther south then turned into about a 15 mph headwind. Keeping a pace of 14-16 mph was taking a lot of effort, and staying on the aerobars, but could be done. We were passing everyone. The folks were tired and you could see it in their faces. We just reeled them in one after another.

It was warm and Dave was having a bit of problem eating enough. The last few miles riding northward to Canby saw him a long way back in my mirror.

We arrived at the end not much worse for wear. We visited with a group of folks, including noted cyclist Dick Weber.

Though the Wheelmen were taking things down and cleaning up, Dave and I managed to scrounge up some watermelon slices, some nut and fruit cups, and another can of cold soda each.

After quite awhile we decided to hop back on the bikes and finish the day up with a commute over the Canby Ferry.


I took an alternate route back just to get 200k today. By the time all was said and done I had logged 125 miles.

After returning home I was notified that a member of our social bike club was seriously injured on a club ride near Corbett today. Tonight he is in a medically induced coma with severe head injuries. (yes, he had his helmet on)

Please keep him and his family in your thoughts (and prayers for those so inclined)


....road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......125..............0.............0..........0.........125
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May........1003..............0.............0..........0........1003
June........125..............0.............0..........0.........125
YTD........3162..............0............27..........7.........3195

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading your blog consistently since I discovered your link on the email titled "rider down" a couple weeks ago. I too rode the Pioneer Century for the 55 mile ride, but it was the heat that almost did me in, in addition to being my first Cat-2 climb up Sawtell Rd. Seems to have been the day for injury with life flight coming to the rest stop at the fire station at the top of the hill, and your friend on the Corbett Hills ride. I've taken time since to re-evaluate my health and insurance coverages. I'm a relatively new biker, having purchased my first bike in 2009, and find your blog amazing and inspiring. The 508 Furnace Creek 2009 video was exhausting to even watch. Can't wait to see the 2010. The longest ride I've done so far is 62 miles for RTB. I can't believe you rode there AND back in the same day! STP seems a long distance in my future... But you're a great inspiration! I'm a devoted reader now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.