Sunday, June 12, 2011

bikin'

Paul J of my social bike club was leading a 47 mile ride from Hillsboro today...with a 10AM start time. Silly me, 10AM, about 30 miles from home, why not ride to the ride? That's what I did.
The ride was a bit complicated by a very late night out the night before (hey, had to help celebrate a pretty girl's birthday!) I wanted to get at least 3 hours of sleep so I skipped breakfast. I tossed a little extra "ride food" into my pack and pedaled off toward Hillsboro.
The commute went well. The sun was out and I was just breezing along.


I arrived at the starting location with about an hour to go before the ride. I took the opportunity to go into the grocery store there and grab some junk..er energy food. ;-)
Before long the rest of them arrived and they posed for a photo before we pedaled off.

The route was pretty good taking us into the rural Washington County countryside. This farm boy dutifully pointed out and identified all the crops, including perennial ryegrass, tall fescue, crimson and red clover, even some Burnett and Canola! We also were riding along the edge of some forested land. At times it seemed we had the area to ourselves.

If you ride at the fringes long enough sooner or later you find yourself on roads that maybe aren't the best for road bikes. We took today's "find" in stride and picked our way along through the gravel for about a mile before finding a paved side road that would bring us in a direction we could live with.


There must have been something in the air, seemed that there was a bit of showing off going on.



After arriving back at our starting point we all scattered. The others in vehicles, me still on the bike. They sun of the early morning had been getting more obscured by grey sky as the day went on. As I prepared to pedal back home Paul and I were laying odds on the chance of a dry ride. Neither of us were willing to bet on dry.
Sure enough, I wasn't more than a quarter mile out of the parking lot before a light rain began to fall, big drops, but very light.

It rained most of the way home but was so light that my fenderless wheels never threw up rooster tails. Good thing, I had a STP tyvek jacket along but not much else to protect me from wet roads or rain.

It was nice enough that I took the opportunity for bonus miles. Took a few turns here and there just to add miles. Yup, I'm a sick puppy!

It was a nice day with good folks.


.........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......123..............0.............0..........0.........123
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May........1003..............0.............0..........0........1003
June........414..............0.............0..........0.........414
YTD........3451..............0............27..........7.........3484

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.