Sunday, May 1, 2011

No time for cookies!

One of my bicycling buddies was planning on riding Salem Bicycle Club's Monster Cookie Metric Century today. He was riding with a group that was going to ride about a 35 mile commute to get there, ride the 62 mile ride, then ride about 30 miles back. He warned those thinking of riding along that he was going to "roll with a fast group" but would wave as they went by. :-) I ride enough to know that there is always someone faster, someone stronger. I don't ride fast, I just ride...mile after mile after mile.

The Monster Cookie Metric Century route is notoriously flat and fast. The only limiting factor is that it's early in the season for most.... most that have a biking season! Some of us just ride year round because ..... well because what else would we do?

For my goal today I decided to also commute to Salem for the ride. I ride to meetings in Salem from time to time, I know the most direct route to the Capital.

I hopped on the bike just after 7AM and pedaled hard. I planned on a "no stop" day.
I arrived at the Capital and made a loop and headed back north on the Monster Cookie route. I blew right past the cookies. That was uncharacteristic of me, but I was on a mission, a mission to stay ahead of those fast riders who were going to wave as they passed. When I got to Champoeg Park I refilled my water bottles at the Visitor Center rather than go down into the park to the official stop. I headed back south toward Salem. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm. I was drinking a bit more water today that I usually do on Winter rides, but I guess it's not Winter anymore!

I arrived back in Salem, looped around the start/finish area and headed back north again.

A bit of a wind in my face as I made my way back but nothing serious.

I did manage to stay ahead of those fast folks. ;-)

No cookies, no photos, just rode the bike pretty quickly. (for me)

123 miles
18.9 mph average
143 bpm average heart rate

Oh, and a PS:
223 mile weekend, the most since last October



........road bike.......rollers.........mtb.....lifecycle.....total
Today.......123..............0.............0..........0.........123
Jan.........474..............0............21..........7.........502
Feb.........530..............0.............0..........0.........530
March.......502..............0.............0..........0.........502
April.......524..............0.............0..........0.........524
May.........123..............0.............0..........0.........123
YTD.......2163...............0............21..........7........2191

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.